Author Topic: really old tool!  (Read 2392 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
really old tool!
« on: February 19, 2007, 14:11:13 »
after being told a few weeks ago that my marked out beds and bits of string looked like an archaeological dig, I actually found a flint hand axe yesterday!

just got back from the Norwich Castle Museum – have left it with them for them to catalogue it, then they'll return it to me – at first look they think it's probably Upper Palaeolithic and about 10,000 years old. turned over lots of other bits of flint, but I think they're just ordinary bits of flint. am quite excited, and love the thought of a little Upper Palaeolithic man or woman sitting down and chipping away ;D what I'd like to happen now is for them to call back and tell me that they'll need to excavate my plot and dig it all, removing weeds as they go ;)

this must happen all the time – has anyone else dug up anything exciting?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: really old tool!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 14:32:19 »
Just a load of junk on our plot. I think someone buried an armchair a long time back cos all we found was the castors.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 14:50:33 »
NL that sounds really exciting, it must make digging your plot so much more interesting knowing you might find something else, as well as looking forward to the veggies etc., brilliant. :)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 15:03:41 »
My son found a Ghurka badge!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 16:02:17 »
all we've found is old tool heads that ray's put new handles on, a very old key an old metal lathe, couldn't do anything with that..your find sounds fascinating..will watch to see if any more come to light  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 16:21:59 »
I've found loads of bits of old clay pipes (Victorian gardeners must have smoked like chimneys), old bottles, all sorts of broken bits, the rotted remains of an Anderson shelter, used to prop up the stream bank, and a couple of bits of shrapnel.

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 17:14:35 »
Wow what a find NL  - does make digging more interesting  :D

Nothing on my plot of interest  :(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 17:19:33 »
Plastic bags,carpet, glass and some slate. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 07:29:03 »
after being told a few weeks ago that my marked out beds and bits of string looked like an archaeological dig, I actually found a flint hand axe yesterday!

just got back from the Norwich Castle Museum – have left it with them for them to catalogue it, then they'll return it to me – at first look they think it's probably Upper Palaeolithic and about 10,000 years old. turned over lots of other bits of flint, but I think they're just ordinary bits of flint. am quite excited, and love the thought of a little Upper Palaeolithic man or woman sitting down and chipping away ;D what I'd like to happen now is for them to call back and tell me that they'll need to excavate my plot and dig it all, removing weeds as they go ;)

this must happen all the time – has anyone else dug up anything exciting?

If they did come over and dig your plot we would all be burying ancient artifacts  ;D ;D
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 12:45:57 »
How cool is that!?! I've only found old metal stakes. My neighbour had mattress springs though. And asbestos.  :o

Hmm... I wonder if the museum would double-dig?  ;D

Tina.

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 12:56:18 »
My neighbour, when trurning the earth over on his allotment for the umpteenth time, found two Roman coins. We will never know what awaits us!

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 16:33:25 »
Isn't that exciting, to think that people so long ago were on your allotment. They were probably organic too!
I really like that idea of continuity and history. All I ever find is bricks,broken glass asbestos roofing and old bits of iron.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 21:34:41 »
I found a real marble marble once, and a small glass bottle. Nothing as interesting as your find Norfolklass.
Smile, it confuses people.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 22:24:48 »
Wow!!! :o That is soooo cool! I am so envious. I'd love to find something like that. Found a fossil (ammonite) once in Lyme Regis. Nothing but crap on the lottie so far but might get kids to start digging!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 10:31:42 »
Found a allotment after i stopped digging :o ;)

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 11:21:36 »
We find lots of fossils on our allotments - millions of years ago this area was covered by sea.  One plot holder found a whale tooth which he took to the local museum - was told it was from the ancestors of the 'great white shark' and around 50 million years old.  We keep the fossils in a box in our field shed to show the children from our local infants school who come onto our field on a regular basis and they love being able to handle them. 

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 12:25:27 »
Hi all,

We also find neolithic? flint arrow heads and knapped flint on our Norwich site.
(I think I am down river from norfolk lasses site, I think there was more Roman activity in that area)

My site is in an ancient river valley that would have been tidal a long time ago and I believe the museum service have maps of finds down the whole valley. You can imagine people living on the higher ground and hunting in the marshes on the flood plain. I have a couple of peices that look worked but other people have better examples. A worked peice of flint has a swelling called the bulb of percussion where it was repeated hit. The spear/arrow ? heads are tear shaped and scraping blades are wider at the top. We also find pieces of victorian clay pipes from the days when the site was the gardens for a large house.

I keep my eyes open for a big find but the soil has been worked a long time by people who dug much deeper than I do.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 15:38:44 »
Found loads of fossils on our site.
They aren't bad old boys thou.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal