Author Topic: Melon and Watermelon  (Read 1533 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Melon and Watermelon
« on: February 17, 2007, 18:55:05 »
HI Guys,

I have Melon (galia) and Watermelon (Moon and Stars) that i want to try this year for the first time.

I have an area i want to plant maybe one plant of each in thats about 4ft long and 2 ft wide.

I was going to construct a frame 3ft high and 2 ft wide that i am going to cover on the top and 3 sides with the ridgid upvc that i got late last year. And soft plastic sheeting over on the final side. AKA a mini greenhouse. Inside the frame will be some trellis that the plants can grow up.

Having never grown melon or watermelon before i presume that it does better in a warm envionment?

Am i on the right lines??

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Melon and Watermelon
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 19:36:49 »
Yes, especially water melons... are supposed to be some hardier varieties about but I'm not prepared to try them yet!
 ::)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 22:07:28 »
I'd double your height, C7 -  at least. They climb, like cues and such, or alternatively you can trail them like squashes.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 22:21:45 »
Hi Moon and Stars is a mid-late season melon, grows up to 25 pounds,watermelons prefer slightly more acidic soil. You will need to hand pollinate under cover. Some WM take up to 150 days, M&S takes about 90-95 after transplanting a fairly decent plant.It is iffy, there are shorter season ones, I have had success  with this one but also failures, usually because we ran out of warm weather. I grow on black plastic in a large covered bed rather like a huge cucumber frame. Other melons I grow in the greenhouse vertically but not W M's, I let them sprawl. Seeds are slow to germinate, can be nicked or soaked to give them a boost.I keep my plants under lights at first with heat to try to give that edge to get a big transplant. Hope this is of some use. I love the clallenge of melons, Good Luck, I shall be hoping for a long summer too!! XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 22:23:59 »
Sorry forgot, can't help you with your Galia it is not one I grow most of the similar ones in its family are mid season. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 22:56:12 »
wow thanks guys.

I dont want to get 2 high as i have a wind problem, i had though i could let the melon climb and the water melon sprawl

This is an experiment for the real thing next year when i plan on putting plastic inside a part of my fruit cage which will give me plenty more room.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 12:38:11 »
Cambourne I have some tablets for that wind problem :-[, shall we do like a seed swap. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 13:26:56 »
only grown galia and sweeheart melons, got a good crop from them under cover  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 18:40:07 »
Cambourne I have some tablets for that wind problem :-[, shall we do like a seed swap. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am seriously woried about your obsession with my nether regions  :P    ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 18:40:48 »
how much watering is needed??

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 18:58:35 »
:)

keep them moist C7, if you are growing at allotment keep an eye on them as two legged rats pinch them/ shades x
grow your own way

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 00:08:55 »
Grew mine outdoors, inside an old wardrobe frame last year (back knocked out) on a heap of well rotted manure. Soaked it thoroughly, then covered in black plastic and planted through it. Put some galvanised steel mesh for them to scramble over. Didn't cover the frame, and they did well, but then it was very warm last year. Variety was passport.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:53:11 »
'plant' a pop bottle next to them, upturned with the bottom cut off, keep filling it, in very hot weather, like last year, we were filling it every day, it was inside though  :)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 10:16:03 »
Grew mine outdoors, inside an old wardrobe frame last year (back knocked out) on a heap of well rotted manure. Soaked it thoroughly, then covered in black plastic and planted through it. Put some galvanised steel mesh for them to scramble over. Didn't cover the frame, and they did well, but then it was very warm last year. Variety was passport.

I love your frame :-)

I grew watermelon 'Blacktail Mountain' last year undercover and managed to get one fruit.  This year I'm going to try it outdoors. I do know that Watermelons don't like strong sunlight as it scorches their leaves.

Good luck with yours

SP

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 12:50:42 »
looks like i am in good company for my experiment :-)

i cant wait - when did you sow the seeds?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal