Author Topic: cape gooseberries  (Read 3289 times)

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
cape gooseberries
« on: May 03, 2004, 19:08:57 »
 ??? what are cape gooseberries actually like, are they like gooseberries or what! i don't know a thing about them, can anyone help, ta.
                            dannylewis
                                ;D
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

nepeta

• Not So New ...
  • I love cats
Re:cape gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 21:21:14 »
Hi Danny,
Cape gooseberries are nothing like gooseberries. The proper name is Physalis but they also are known as Chinese Lanterns.
They are little orange berries about the size of a cherry, which grow inside a papery brown case. I dont know what they taste like but are quite expensive to buy in supermarkets.
You can grow them from seed, most good seed companies have varieties of them.
I have some growing in my front garden purely for ornamental reasons, I was given them so I dont know if they are edible ones or not. But they are perrenial and be warned if you grow some, they spread underground like wildfire! I find them coming up in the lawn even!

Nepeta
Cats rule !

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 22:06:28 »
Sometimes, Tescos, etc, sell them. They are in a paper like lantern and can taste a bit bitter - buy some to eat first, so you can find out if you like them or not... (though will probably be better homegrown, of course)
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 22:41:59 »
I didn't realise that the Physalis that I buy sometimes from Waitrose - when they've reduced them generally - are also known as Cape Gooseberries.....I just love them, sometimes the bigger ones are really quite sweet.....can quite see why they are also called 'chinese lanterns'.....yummy dipped in chocolate sauce :P

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 07:56:25 »
There is a thread somewhere back last Autumn on how to grow these.I asked because like HP i love them.When ripe they are sweet.I dont know if they are the same as the outdoor ones though.The thread said that they took over the Greenhouse and only to plant 2 or 3.I got a packet but after 2 sowings nothing so it will be back to Tescos for me i'm afraid.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 08:09:19 »
I have some seeds of Physalis that I brought back from Germany last winter.  They did germinate, but all succumbed to damping off.  I have a few seeds left and will try again.Danny if you pm me with your address Ill send you a few seeds to try.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 10:03:28 »
I loves 'em and have a nice gathering of plants in pots in my greenhouse.  To me they kinda have a metalic taste, but I love them - hard to describe, they seem sticky...but aren't... as said before, the best bet is to buy some and try them first as I am sure they are an acquired taste.  You can get ornamental ones and they are invasive, and as far as I can make out from my book, the berries are edible.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 19:15:53 »
I didn't know Cape Gooseberries are Chinese Lanterns!  :o Feel a bit silly,  :-[ I bought a packet with 3 Chinese Lanterns "roots" in and planted them in a flower border about 6/8 weeks ago as I thought they were purely a flowering perennial!  Anyway there is no sign of anything at all but I've marked the places so I'll wait and see!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 08:37:57 »
I've got these growing away  ;D  I started an early one in the heated greenhouse that is my office window (they turn the heat up too high here) early in the year.  its now about 4ft tall, and has about 100 of the beggars on!!

Be careful, as the actual chinese lantern contains no berry (from memory), just seeds, but the cape gooseberry or golden berry looks similar but has a berry inside (duh - sorry).  My seeds were very easy to germinate, but as I said above, the plants go mad!  I didnt realise the plant can easily reach 6ft and hold 300 lantern/berries (when they will need some strong support)!!!

They are a soft wooded perennial, not sure if it would survive the frosts (might need protection)?? or perhaps it would die back and regrow.  Didnt realise this until now, so another bit of excitement :)

Other uses for the berry include - preserves, stuffing, goes superb with meat (esp game etc), sauces, or let em go real ripe and use for dessert :)  When you pick them, keep them in the physalis, they should last 3/4 mths kept in this way (in a cool dry location).

Mine is thriving on neglect - bit of water and shake of some stems occasionally to help pollination.  No fertiliser (its in a pot) and its running away!!

Good luck if you try again :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 09:36:14 »
I have a feeling that mine are the ornimental type.  Have just checked the packet and they are 'Physalis alkenkengi'  for anyone that may know the difference.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 10:08:14 »
Pretty sure that one is.  THe lanterns will be more colourful, but the berry inside is all seeds.  They dry nicely tho for use in the home.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 13:18:45 »
Hi.the edible one is "Physalis Edulis" ;) ......... Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 19:40:21 »
I've grown Cape's for yonks. Cape goosberry (golden berry) is physalis pruinosa: Also known as P.peruviana or P edulis. The 'Cape' which although is a perennial, is grown as an annual over here. The plant should grow anywhere between 1 and 12 pounds of fruit depending on growing conditions. Treat it as you would a tomato plant but like tom's and spuds, don't grow it in the same place as you did them as they are prone to the same problems.
The Chinese Lantern plant (P alkekengi) is related but the fruits are nothing like as tasty and is the one which can get out of control if you don't check it. (It's a rhizome after all, not a seed). It's almost exclusively grown for decorative use, and why not, it's a beautiful plant when in bloom.
PS: The 'Cape' will not over-winter! It will not take over your garden and it will die if Jack Frost hits it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 19:47:48 by kenkew »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal