Author Topic: When to plant potatoes  (Read 4953 times)

davy1

• Half Acre
Re: When to plant potatoes
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 20:41:35 »
Davey I would get some fleece or a cover down just to keep the soil warm. I was told stick your finger deep in the soil to test if its warm enough if you can keep your finger in then its warm enough, don't forget thou we still have a few frosts to come. ;D ;D ;D

I am prepared for a late frost. They will not take any harm under the ground the way i have done it, its only when the frost gets at the tops that does the damage. Also we all seem to get plenty of catch croppers that survive the winter. Nothing ventured nothing gained

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 08:32:19 »
......stick your finger deep in the soil to test if its warm enough if you can keep your finger in then its warm enough.....

Cornykev,

That test is for wimps, the true test is the "Bare bottom" test - bare you bum and squat in the soil, if it doesn't feel cold then it is warm enough.

But that test is for true seeds, not plants that are already established - potato "seeds"  are plants  and so can be planted now (provided the ground isn't too damp or they will rot). As has been mentioned, the danger from low temps comes when the leaves break the surface, a thin layer of soil or fleece will keep off a few degrees of frost. But most varieties will recover from a frosting of the leaves.

Phil

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 08:50:43 »
Fingers & bums? I use a thermometer!!

'Recover from frost'? Indeed, but you've then lost all you gained by trying to be early?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 09:31:31 »
It's worth using fleece from when they first appear until the end of March, or whenever some truly springlike weather arrives, then keeping it in reserve to put out whenever frost threatens. I'm not sure you really lose everything though. The stems and leaves will be trimmed back, but the root system will be stronger than from a later planting, and won't be affected.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 09:39:25 »
I meant that you lose the 'gain'.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 10:04:34 »
Fingers & bums? I use a thermometer!!

'Recover from frost'? Indeed, but you've then lost all you gained by trying to be early?

On the use of bums - I wasn't recommending it, I was merely pointing out that other parts of the body have more traditionally and accurately been used  ;)

As frosts can occur any time up to June in various bits of the country,  :'( then it's not logical to wait until all danger has gone - I was try to point out that, if you are caught by a frost (however late you have planted), it isn't the end of the world and covering with fleece or earth are 2 of the ways of reducing the impact of a frost should one occur after your spuds have broken the surface.

Phil

PS I always wanted to be a politician - unfortunately I think I would have failed as my above posting does address some of the points raised (IMHO)  :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 16:13:18 »
Not only do you address questions asked, you also commit the cardinal sin of failing to lie. If you did manage to scrape into the House, such dishonourable conduct inevitably dooms the Member in question to a miserable existence on the back benches, incessantly harried by bullying Whips.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 16:21:23 »
Phil - agree entirely. It was not my purpose to dispute your teachings. Just that, at my age, the bb test would be a little difficult to achieve!

Like many others, I use fleece.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 16:26:07 »
I'll be honest Phil I do the old bum test, but I was thinking of others who don't want to bare the bottie in the lottie. I'm sure they do in Hampshire Phil, how does the old song go. Hampshire born Hampshire breed strong in the arm but thick in the head. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 16:30:42 »
I've planted three in a compost bag today in my greenhouse but won't be planting the rest until late March/April.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 21:24:27 »
I've planted three in a compost bag today in my greenhouse but won't be planting the rest until late March/April.

Given the direction of the thread, what exactly have you planted Caroline, fingers, thermometers, bums or just old fashioned spuds?

:D

Phil

davy1

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 22:41:33 »

Ever tried keeping some early sets back and using this method to have new spuds for Xmas

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 17:13:10 »
 ;D just spuds- too cold for all the rest!
haven't tried that, Davy, but intend to this year- if I remember!

davy1

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 19:11:17 »
I do it every year in old compost bags set them away back end of July beginning of August out side and as soon as my tomato's are finished i put my spuds inside. Remember tho you can not grow spuds and tomato's in the same place.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 20:15:43 »
Sorry to hi-jack but I think this might get some helpful comments. I have some arran pilot which are chitting at the moment. They have long sprouts already - up to a couple of inches long. They are purple not white though. This is my first year using seed potatoes. Are these sprouting too quickly? If the sprouts are this large already will their growth slow down? Can I just leave them and plant in March?  in the pic they are next to maris piper. http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1240jb8.jpg
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 20:18:16 by Sparkly »

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 20:32:29 »
As has been said on this and other threads, keep em as cool as possible, this will slow down the sprouting, and in full light, this will prevent the sprouts becoming long and straggely (be they white, purple or green)

The problem with the straggly sprouts is that they can easily break when you are planting them. The trick is to lay them horizontally to gt as much stem growth underground as possible (this is where the roots and hence the tubers grow from)

Phil

PS I presume the M Piper are the ones next to the Arran Pilot in the picture  ;)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 21:26:47 »
Thanks for the advice. I will try moving them to the porch. Would I be best starting again with these or sticking it out and planting them? Are they past it?

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 21:35:05 »
Sparky,

Stick with them, as I said the worst that can happen is that you have long shoots, just lay them in the trench, carefully

Phil

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 20:52:50 »
Its no great loss if they break of Sparky some more shoots will appear in time
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 21:05:14 »
........ if they break of Sparky some more shoots will appear in time

But only one shoot per eye, if you break off a shoot it will not be replaced from that eye.

As I said, if you carefully plant them there should be no problem

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal