Author Topic: New Asparugus Beds : Any Sage Advice!  (Read 4492 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Covering up the crowns
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 14:44:21 »
Bennettslegg & Cambourne

Just thought I would let you know :

I was reading up on Asparagus - again -- and found out this about planting the crowns. -- place the one year old crowns 18in (45cms) apart in the trench with the roots well spread out, and cover with 3in (7.5cm) of soil.  During the first summer, gradually draw in the soil from the sides of the trench so that it is filled in level by the Autumn. Hoe to keep down the weeds.  Water well in dry weather.  In autumn when the foliage begins to turn yellow, cut down the stems to just about soil level.  Apply a mulch around cut stems to suppress weeds and enrich the soil. "

Hope this helps.
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: New Asparugus Beds : Any Sage Advice!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 15:44:47 »
Oh thank goodness for that  ;D Italian Dario told me to put salt on it last year! I've been worried ever since that he was trying to knobble my crop (he's a bit competitive!)  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 17:46:42 »
All I can add is, don't underestimate the distance the roots spread out over the years. I was cleaning grass out from a path next to them, last year, and kept coming across asparagus roots. I moved the path sideways a little more so that I would not be treading on them.

I have grown asparagus for about 40 years, and in my current allotment I put in 20 crowns of all male Dutch hybrids (one is Gijnlim, I forget the other, another "lim" one) four or five years ago, and am very pleased with them. I have never put salt on them, but in a previous life the asparagus beds got heaps of well rotted pig manure every autumn.

I never water them because I assume the water would have to be torrential to reach the roots, and my allotment has none. I admit that they were not so prolific as usual last year, but usually there are more than we can eat and give away, without watering.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Swap 5 Connovers Collosal for different variety??
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 12:43:41 »
I have just placed my order for Connovers Colossal.  Unfortunately the minimum amount you could order was 10.  I would love to swap for 5 Ginjlim or Jersey Giant or Purple Passion or Giant Mammoth - anyone in the same boat and want to do a swap??  I have also placed this post on the swap board but as this topic was very relevant and fresh thought it would get a better viewing here.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 14:39:37 »
i read you should keep the bed weed free as it doesn,t like competition so would
that be no to putting other things in the bed?
marg (the other one)
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 16:49:59 »
For those worried about storage of already purchased crowns. I planted my crowns last year and while waiting for the right weather and the bed to be prepared I put all the crowns in a big pot of potting mix. When planting I put them in a bucket of water while they were waiting and covered each one up before planting the next.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 22:07:00 »
Hi I am new but read this thread with great interest. I started an aspargus raised bed  3 years ago with 1 year old Cito crowns. My bed is 4 feet wide x22 feet.. I was vey impressed with the crowns when they arrived,the roots were mostly over 2 feet. I had the bed ready in the autumn before they came  and planted them the same day they arrived. First year they grew rapidly. 2nd year  there were so many I did use them, a bit scared I wrecked them , but last year they were superb,I had to cut them daily . I have planted beds before  with marginal success but have never had the yields that the Cito gave me. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 22:23:49 »
Hi Jeannine.Can you remember where you purchased the crowns from?They sound very productive!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 22:33:52 »
Hello, I am pretty sure it was from Suttons.They have them in this years catalogue.They are a bit more expensive than Gijnlim which were not available then anyway. 10 plants £16.95 or 25 for £29.95.  Good luck  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 22:46:15 »
Hello, I am pretty sure it was from Suttons.They have them in this years catalogue.They are a bit more expensive than Gijnlim which were not available then anyway. 10 plants £16.95 or 25 for £29.95.  Good luck  XX Jeannine
Thank you very much. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal