Author Topic: Not for 2007  (Read 8104 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Not for 2007
« on: February 08, 2007, 12:09:48 »
What didn't you like or didnt grow?

I wont be growing..

Salsify (boring taste)
Scorzonera (boring taste)
Kohl Rabi (boring taste)
Fennel (horrible taste)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Not for 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 12:37:16 »
Wastes of space (IMHO)

celery (too much trouble)
capsicum (tough as old boots)
potato Maris Bard (pest magnet)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 12:38:22 »
Going to try celery again but I am fairly certain it will fall into the too much trouble cat..
 ;D

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:47:03 »
Courgettes ;D. I've decided that I have had my last glut of them and the eventual begging attempts to give them away, prior to composting them :D.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:48:23 »
I grew a self blanching celery in an enclosed bed.  Modules in the GH, then cold frame, then planted out at about half to 2/3rd the recommended distance. Little maintenance except watering and they proved no problem at all (except ended up with more than we needed). I think the close planting helped keep the weeds down. We have quite sandy soil.

Not white like the real thing but perfectly crisp until harder frosts came.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 12:52:42 »
Going to try celery again but I am fairly certain it will fall into the too much trouble cat..
 ;D

I've somehow managed to grow celery quite well the past few years, in my raised beds at home. Haven't tried at the lottie yet of course, interesting that Barnowl also had success in an enclosed bed- ? That's what they like?

Not much I won't be bothering to grow this year except the varieties of tomatoes I didn't think much of last year......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 13:02:33 »
Beefsteak type of tomatoes. Very few produced per plant (in the greenhouse). Took up too much room per plant, and found them to be tasteless.
Think I'll stick to mainly cherry toms(going to try Sweet Million this year) for taste this year, with one or two Shirley or some such for slicing in sandwiches.
Still got a few containers of last years toms cooked up and frozen for adding to bolognese etc.
Hopefully we will have enough top do the same again.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 13:17:33 »
melothrie tiny little cucumbers, couldn't pick/eat them quickly enough
only having one courgette this year, too many last year , freezer's still full..growing more squash instead
 ;D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 13:24:22 »
Courgettes ;D. I've decided that I have had my last glut of them and the eventual begging attempts to give them away, prior to composting them :D.

we used to feel the same about courgettes. You get tired of eating them, and they end up huge. But as soon as we started making courgette soup, we couldn't get enough of them - the bigger the better.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 13:25:49 »
Celery and fennel - always failed, and for the amount I use, I might as well buy it at the farm shop.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 13:26:22 »
I won't be growing chillies this year - bags full in the freezer 8)

Some tomato types I've tried I won't be growing.

That's it, really.

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 13:51:55 »
No peanuts this year. Took too much space for a long time. And considering their price in the supermarket I prefer to buy them and use the space for something else. Probably some more kale.

Definitely not more than four pumpkin plants. My 10-year old daughter already accuses us of cruelty.

And I think there will be no peas or mange touts. All the seeds I've sown indoors so far just seem to disappear into the soil never to be seen again. And I don't have mice in my living room!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 13:57:34 »
celeriac - tiny and such a let down, autumn raspberries as i'm never around when they fruit, would rather pump up on summer raspberries and stick some in blueberries.

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 14:01:51 »
Like most ............... celery / courgettes and all this grown under glass as have not got green house!!!!

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 14:36:34 »
I won't be growing runner beans this year as I prefer climbing beans, and I have the seeds of 13 varieties! to find space for this year  ::)
There are also a couple of squash varieties I won't be growing as I didn't like the texture of the flesh last year.
I'm also growing only 2 tyoes of potato rather than 4 like last year, to make room for other things.
Not growing chillies as I have plenty in the freezer.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 15:37:40 »
I know its a favourite but no to Brussels, next door lottie does them and they take up so much room and are in the ground for such a long time and the white fly, even after he dug them up they were still in the soil. I was going to give celery a go didn't realise so many struggled with them last year. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 15:44:29 »
Wastes of space (IMHO)

potato Maris Bard (pest magnet)

Oh no! this is one of the varieties I have gone for this year... they obviuosly don't live up their hype!

I will not be doing sweetcorn  :'( as the woman next to us plants an entire allotment of an african maze variety that she grind to make flour (we think - she must do it is completely inedible otherwise)  and I am sure it cross pollinated with ours this year - it was horrible, a real let down!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 15:48:59 »
That (Maris Bard) was one of the varieties we were considering too, perhaps we'll think again! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 16:33:10 »
vegetable spaghetti  it grew very well amonst the sweetcorn looked impressive
then i tryed one ,gave some away then composted them
margaret ???i,v already got maris bard but you know this game , nothing grows the same 2years running
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 17:07:16 »
That (Maris Bard) was one of the varieties we were considering too, perhaps we'll think again! x

I grew Maris bard for the last two years. Both years it was got at with eelworm quite badly Also the damage encouraged some of the tubers to rot, some in the gound, and some on storage. Also last year, after properly chitting etc, only about half of the tubers came to anything, the rest presumably rotting in the ground. The other potatoes I grew -Charlotte and Nadine were both OK - no eelworm, and all tubers producing potatoes. Yields weren't great, but whose were last year?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal