Author Topic: 2007 Pumpkin Competition  (Read 20791 times)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
Re: 2007 Pumpkin Competition
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2007, 20:47:34 »
My guess the final weight of the pumpkin competition is going well. £44 so far without me seeing any of my workmates. Guesses so far range from 4.8kg-90kg... I'm going to get their first £ then in a month or so print off another photo to see if I can get another £ out of them. Went to see it today and it's put loads of weight on.
Should I sacrifice the smaller pumpkins just to give this one more of the nutrients?

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2007, 12:06:43 »
All the photos are great to see, keep them coming :D

Good luck with the fundraiser Crash, it's a good cause so I hope you get loads of donations. :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2007, 14:49:59 »
This one of my pumpkins i have had to pick early due to bird dammage. I have no idea the variaty but its almost 6lb 3oz and just over 24inches around. I know its not the biggest but its getting there.

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/Allotment/?action=view&current=DSC00381.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/Allotment/?action=view&current=DSC00384.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/Allotment/?action=view&current=DSC00386.jpg

There is another one bigger still on the plant and one thats about 1/2 the size plus about 10 tennis ball sized fruits.

Cambourne7

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2007, 11:28:43 »
What variety are they Louise? They look pale like 'Ghost'.
I'm growing that variety this year, but only have 1 fruit on it so far...

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2007, 13:13:19 »
HI

There Dill Atlantic Giant.  The paleness might be my camera.

Yours looks big though.

Cambourne7

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2007, 17:28:09 »
It's about the size of a basketball at the moment...can't remember how big they can get! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2007, 14:16:54 »
Here are pics of my biggest two an "Atlantic Giant" and a "Hundredweight"

I have placed a ruler/spirit level on top of the pumkins for scale it is 18 inches long.

First the Hundredweight.

and the Atlantic Giant with the Hundredweight in the background.

I am pleased with them both seeing as it is my first year  :)

All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2007, 20:35:35 »
oh wow, you've done really well legendaryone :D

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2007, 12:15:48 »
I've sent a photo to our work magazine in the hope that the company matches what I raise. I'm upto £99 now.
I was thinking of asking the landlady of our local if she'll put it on the bar and take donations after the official weigh in.

deanc

• Not So New ...
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2007, 09:12:35 »
hello, Id like to count myself in the pumpkin competiton, first year on our allotment so first year growing pumpkins too, its quite addictive this veg growing.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2007, 10:46:47 »
Crash the fundraising is going really well for you, I hope your company will match what you have raised, that would be really good.

Remember everyone, take a photo of your largest pumpkin with a tape around it's girth at the widest part, the photo should show the measurement on the tape measure. I'll start a new sticky thread for photos only so your entries don't get lost in the discussion taking place here. :)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2007, 16:28:45 »
My tape measure only goes upto 60" and it's bigger than that :D

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2007, 09:43:53 »
 ;D ;D Crash, Lucky you!

You'll have to find yourself a longer tape measure. Or you could use a piece of rope or string to measure the girth and then measure that against the tape measure if you know what I mean. :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2007, 16:49:10 »
We have picked our pumpkin today and it weighed 7kg. The variety was 'hundred weight'. It is not completely ripe yet so we are hoping, by keeping it indoors, it will ripen in time for halloween  :-\ Although I planted our plant seed early, it stayed in a pot until about the beginning of Aug (due to no room on the plot). It seemed to pick up and grow well. Hopefully next year we shall get the plant in it;s final position much earlier on and hope for a much bigger fruit!

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2007, 10:13:07 »
My largst pumpkin, a hundredweight, was rotten when i went up to the plot this morning  :'( :'( :'(  It was my biggest one   :'( :'( :'(  It had some strange pink flesh on the inside  ???
I have saved some seed so all is not lost.
I am down to one pumpkin now for the competion.
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2007, 15:03:43 »
I brought mine in yesterday. All the foilage had died down and it was VERY visable from the road... Also had to make a cmplaint about the field sec. and the way he handled contractors coming onto my plot to rod drains. He let them walk all over the plant. This is after we had a falling out over boundaries. Just after this dispute the "FOX" came and hit my pumpkin 3 times with a spade! I'm in the right he's wrong. I have the map to prove it... Anyway I'm going off on one so I'll stop. >:(

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2007, 18:29:38 »
I have atlantic giant, i have swapped my last big pumpkin for a load of horse manure which they helped me move to my plot.

I have 2 or 3 babys that are not quite football sized do you think these would taste ok now??

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2007, 22:22:52 »
Ive never had a year like it  :o

Got just one  pumpkin which is not such a great size and three or four squashes but ive still got flowers appearing everywhere  ::)

Never had flowers in October before :o

The weather has been so odd this year and i dont really want to pick my fruit just yet as I feel they need a good few more weeks to reach maturity.

Oh gardening can be fun and frustrating cant it?
We never know what sucess we may have or not have as the case may be!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2007, 10:33:18 »
yes my courgette is still flowering and i still have courgettes forming which is weird.

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2007, 13:17:16 »
My tape measure only goes upto 60" and it's bigger than that :D

Is it ok if I upload a photo with the string I used and tied in a knot folded in half next to the tape measure?
I'll be taking mine to be weighed at 9.30 tomorrow. I'll put the certificate next to the pumpkin.

DOn't know what the lady lady will think when she sees how much pumpkin soup she's got to make!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal