Author Topic: Question  (Read 1346 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Question
« on: February 07, 2007, 15:33:29 »
Can you please help with a gardening question.

I have today bought 10 hanging Begonia bulbs, would it be alright to cut them in half before i start them off they have little tiny shoots just showing & there are two on the large ones..Thanks. I want to start them at the end of the month.

Shirley

• Half Acre
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 18:20:25 »
Quote from RHS Propation book.

Large tubers with several growing points can be sectioned before planting.  Each section should have at least one growing point and some good roots.  It is best not to be too greedy; only exisiting roots will develop; rootless sections of tubers are not able to produce new ones.

Any help Rosebud?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 23:32:44 »
Thank you very much Shirley, i shall be able to use some of them to make some more for my baskets. I have9 baskets so that will help. ;D ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:46:58 »
Thanks for asking the question Buds & Shirley for the answer 8) 1st year for me growing flowers and I'll be looking for the bargains BOGSF (where the S stands for 'some') ;D Love  those hanging begonias :)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:15:09 »
As is said you can cut begonia tubers but it is much better to start them into growth and then take cuttings. The cuttings will form new tubers which can produce roots from the entire surface giving you better plants. When you cut tubers there is always a chance that fugal problems can get in.The cuttings will root easily in a 50/50 mixture of compost and perlite with a little warmth.

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 15:33:51 »
I bought hanging begonias last year for the first time and have stored the tubers for this year in shredded paper.  Looking forward to a good show this year although they haven't started to shoot yet.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 15:59:20 »
I think they are perfect for hanging baskets Shirley. I have some from last year & they looked so good i wanted some more,never had the smaller ones, i always start mine the end of Feb in a box of potting compost& leave them untill ready to go in the baskets.
I did have some for a few years which were lovely but about 2yrs ago they accidently got thrown out by silly me so i had to start all over again. Good excuse to go to the garden centre for a spend up not that i need one mind. ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal