Author Topic: planting bare root trees  (Read 816 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
planting bare root trees
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:26:08 »
hey, i bought 3 bare root ornamental cherries from lidls. looked really healthy....and i've planted one into a HUGE pot. i'm wondering if i should plant them out now....or wait till the risk of frost is over. I'm just worried that im' not gonna plant them in time if wait till after the frosts.

thanks.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: planting bare root trees
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:32:51 »
HIYA! (you moved yet or are still putting down roots with your Dad?)

Anyway....put them in now - are they all going in pots? If so, they'll be more frost prone than those going straight in the soil, so praps wrap cardboard round the pots & mulch them if frost's forecast...well, that's what I'd do, anyway :-\

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 14:37:58 »
Bung em in the soil now, if you leave them out, they're more likely to suffer with the roots getting completely dried out or frost bitten.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 16:57:07 »
well, the bare root plants are actually in a cold and dark cupboard...but i've planted one in a pot out of the three...and that now sits outside. it's actually for a friend...who's selling her house and wants them on the patio as a foil.

hi liska! i'm good. i'm staying with a friend in leicester at the moment....still haven't managed to find a job yet but i have an interview with BT tommorow morning. once i get a job, i'll look for a house and everything will be sorted.

it's a bit hectic at the moment so i haven't been around....but hopefully everything will be sorted soon.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 19:02:22 »
Good luck for the Interview Wahaj...
My three fruit trees arrived today... why couldn't they have come Friday or Saturday!
 :-\

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 17:20:53 »
thanks saddad. i got the job too! so did my partener! so we both start tommorow morning, full time and get paid weekly! so i'm well chuffed.

and yea its a shame you did have the chance to plant them last weekend. my two are still sitting in the cupboard. the friend i'm doing this for went out and spend £40 on pots the other day so that i could plant that bags and bags of bulbs she has...and the trees. but now A i wont have time and B it's going to be too cold for the next few days.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal