Author Topic: turf  (Read 1506 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
turf
« on: February 04, 2007, 18:20:38 »
Nothing to do with growing veg but our back yard is concrete and im sick of it.

i had an idea of adding some turf. But would i need a whole heap of topsoil under it?

I have a load of gravel that i could use as a base - but how much soil would i need on top of this?

thanks

ACE

• Hectare
Re: turf
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 20:54:52 »
Just loosen the compacted soil under the concrete and rake in your gravel with some cheap compost from the council. Good turf usually has a good inch of decent soil.
If you could see what goes on when they turf new gardens on new houses you would not worry.  Rubble, cement, sand, in fact anything they can bury under it. Perfectly alright until you decide to make a new flower bed.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 21:16:23 »
Hi ace - thanks for reply.... I will be leaving the concrete in situ... the whole yard is completely concreted you see and as we rent i cant dig it up at all.  so do you think it would be ok rake the gravel over the concrete and get some vv cheap compost/soil and then turf over?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 21:55:57 »
The first hot sun will dry it to a crisp.  Sorry

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 22:05:25 »
and how will rain soak away?

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 23:22:12 »
I can really understand your frustration at wanting to do away with the concrete look and have turf but if it was me I would look at it differently. Obviously you can't get rid of the concrete so don't go to the expense of laying turf (which WILL die) instead be creative and make a courtyard garden with pots, raised beds, Mediterranean planting scheme maybe etc Sometimes to work WITH what you have can be more effective than trying to change it. If you already have the gravel you can certainly lay that on top of the concrete to soften the look of it.
Good luck...
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 09:22:14 »
Why not use different sizes and heights of pots then you can have loads of colour and interest all year round.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 11:40:56 »
Astroturf?! ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 21:18:46 »
The chickens have sh&& all over the gravel and it needs jethosing - but we dont have an outdoor tap!  I suppose i could try some raised beds and fill with topsoil and put the gravel at the bottom... if i can get some recycled bricks LOL.  Just hate looking at grey concrete and im rubbish with tubs... i just kill everything

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 17:00:07 »
This used to be a concrete yard, I know it is a bit late after your initial post, but I was  photosout of my kitchen window and thought about your concrete yard.
It might be a bit over the top for you but you could pinch some of the ideas

CLICK ON THUMBNAIL

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 18:15:33 »
So what's the trick Ace?
 ???

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 18:18:58 »
Hi Olive, as fellow renter I can understand your frustration over things you can't change. I take it the landlord likes the garden concrete as the next tenants might not be so keen to mow lawn etc?
If you kill every thing you grow in pots then it can only be one of few things you're doing- either not enough drainage /over-watering probably. I grow loads of grasses on my patio - indestructable and loads of interest. Also lavender and rosemary in big pots. OH made me large rectangular planters to provide border effect in last house (pallets!!) They were quite deep and this seemed to keep everything quite happy.
Pre lottie I grew spuds in one of these planters and sweetcorn in pots and toms in half a barrel bought by friend from Scottish distillery!!
 :) :) :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal