Author Topic: Covering with plastic  (Read 1301 times)

keef

• Hectare
Covering with plastic
« on: February 03, 2007, 20:27:14 »
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on covering areas with black plastic ? You see lots of people doing it - but is it a bad idea ? I know you can use cardboard, carpet, straw ??? but plastic is cheap and quick and easy to cover a big area.

I covered some of mine in the autum to stop weed growth before digging, but the soil underneath was very very dry when i pulled off the plastic. I'm thinking of setting aside some of my plot this year, cant be bothered hunting about for carpet etc.. as i've got the plastic - but perhaps it would be better left bare??
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Covering with plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 20:35:58 »
whatever works for you, it'll suppress the weeds and that's what you want  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 20:53:16 »
Plastic definatley works as you by now know too well. The soil will be fine once you have turned it. Plus it will probably rain prior to you sowing thus regenerating the soil ( along with your manure or compost)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 21:13:15 »
Personly I do not like to see allotments covered in polythene and plastic but, that is just my view and I will not be pushing it down peoples throats, (thats my views not the polythene)    ;D ;D ;D
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 21:17:00 »
Why not try growing a green manure?

Suppress the weeds and feed the earth at the same time!

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 21:35:28 »
Why not try growing a green manure?

Suppress the weeds and feed the earth at the same time!

Louise

I had thought of that - but i would need to prepare the soil a bit to be able to plant the green manure, still might be an option.

Thing is i want to leave it all year - mainly because i dont use all my space on my lottie. I always end up with a little bit here and there that i dont use - so this year i'm going to try and leave one big area. Growing green manure might not be the best thing as it wont be there all year..
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 21:42:46 »
It's certainly not attractive, though it's no worse than decaying carpet. It is cheap, effective, and temporary, so I'd recommend it to anyone.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 22:11:34 »
Definetly keeps the weeds at bay
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 22:18:23 »
I covered some of mine in the autum to stop weed growth before digging, but the soil underneath was very very dry when i pulled off the plastic. I'm thinking of setting aside some of my plot this year, cant be bothered hunting about for carpet etc.. as i've got the plastic - but perhaps it would be better left bare??

IMO it's good for the first couple of years' clearing activity when you need all the help you can get. Long term,  organic mulches and green manures feel like a better option. I wouldn't personally use solid black plastic though, only perforated or woven. Solid plastic sheet won't let rainfall percolate into the soil, and that's gotta be wrong hasn't it ???

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 23:02:41 »
Here's a picture of both green manure (in this case poached egg plant) and black heavy duty plastic woven weed suppressant. As you can see, the poached egg plant self seeds like crazy, but its so easy to dig in, I use it a lot. I find the woven weed suppressant is good for permanent plants like fruit trees, but I use the green manure on certain beds that are going to get a good digging in the spring. Only problem with it is that the slugs tend to use it as a hideyhole, coming out to munch on early crops in nearby beds, before I've dug it in.

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 09:23:02 »
I don't think it looks that bad. Surely it has to be better than heavy, wet rotting carpet?

I'm probably going to have the same problem. I'm doing my best to clear the whole of my plot this year and get it all planted, but in reality might only clear half properly (I'm about 12ft into a 140ft plot so far  ::)) so I'll have to cover the rest with plastic just to prevent to weeds from taking over again.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 14:13:25 »
How about finding someone to share the plot and use the bit you haven't got the time/need for? Otherwise I'd use black plastic for your own sanity- you don't have to worry about what's going on underneath, it looks neat (if not beautiful) and it means less work when you do get round to using that area.

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 17:17:52 »
If like myself last year, you don't get much time to tend to your whole plot. Black plastic or any other type of covering is a godsend. You can even plant potatoes under it and no need for earthing up  ;)

If you want to go the plastic route then your local builders merchant should do the membrane that goes under concrete for a few pounds. I bought 100 M2 for £18 last year, did the trick for me.

I've moved into a village this year so unable to keep my old plot but there are a few vacant ones in the village so I'll be starting again from scratch and using plastic again  ;D
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal