Author Topic: FROGS  (Read 17922 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: FROGS
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 11:00:03 »
I have one resident frog - I know he's around somewhere as I see him a few times each year - but no spawn on my pond. I think the fish would eat it anyway, so I try not to mind too much  :(.

Tricia

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 21:36:18 »
Saw the first frog in the pond this morning - well they could have been there before and had been missed -but no frog spawn yet in this Essex pond!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 11:58:55 »
Definitely some frog lurrrrve going on in my neighbours garden yesterday.  She was shocked!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 13:34:18 »
Still no sign of any frogs in our ponds yet.  They are being very cautious up here in Whitley Bay, perhaps we are going to have more bad weather. My sister down in London however has said they had lots of frogs in their pond. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 11:59:20 »
Three frogs in the pond this morning - two very busy and one left out -anyone know of a frog dating service!!!!!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 13:36:09 »
omigod. i thought it was too early (never had frogs before) so i read this and went out and checked and no spawn yet but plenty of frog lovin' going on. wow. spring.

DeniseK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 13:49:28 »
 :) We found one hopeful frog on his way to our pond last night, at the bottom of the steps.  Husband now fretting about his goldfish being molested!

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 14:17:26 »
We heard a frog calling at the weekend so took the mesh covers off the pond just in case he needed to jump in quick as an escape route. I guess his calling was answered, there's a good half pint or so of spawn right in the middle of the pond attached to some floating aerating plants.

I suspect the male was our resident frog who lives round the back of the monolith water feature, but it's definitely earlier than last year, the females didn't appear for at least another couple of weeks.

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 20:10:15 »
We haven't got any yet. We found lots of frogs in the undergrowth before we cleared the plot, but they've not been seen since. I hope I've not scared them off for good.

omigod. i thought it was too early (never had frogs before) so i read this and went out and checked and no spawn yet but plenty of frog lovin' going on. wow. spring.

I did a double take when I read this and wondered if you were THE legless. So I looked at your profile, and lo and behold, you are  :D [/stalker]

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 09:13:55 »
oh dear. hi Laura, where are you stalking me fro?  ;D

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 12:36:50 »
oh dear. hi Laura, where are you stalking me fro?  ;D

I'm a hitcher, mainly a BT-er though  ;)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 15:17:11 »
aaaah.

nice cat by the way. nice to see you over here

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 17:26:02 »
Well they found the new pond, with erm a little help from me and a bucket! :-\ Was sorting out the back of the garden yesterday and the poor female was staggering around with this bloke hanging on to her, looked like a bad date at 2am! So I helped them continue their amorous attachment by putting them in the  pond, he must have been an OK frog cos they left me some spawn!
And got a phone call from my neighbour who had found a load in a trench he had dug, so thats gone in too!!
HORRAH!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2007, 09:34:30 »
Where do they all come from?

I was up early this morning (4.30ish, couldn't sleep) and just could not believe the noise coming through the kitchen window. The frogs' croaking pretty much drowned out the birds dawn chorus!

I sneaked up on the pond and managed to count 3 pairs amorously entwined, and another 8 or 9 single frogs before they all disappeared, I'm sure there were more that I didn't get to count. I'm beginning to worry that the plants will be overwhelmed with spawn before they've had a chance to grow properly and therefore won't make such a good display this year.

Any advice?

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2007, 11:18:01 »
i haven't got any spawn yet, but there's been several 'couples' sighted over the last 3 days. am i being impatient? do they practice first?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007, 12:39:41 »
We have lift off in Whitley Bay.  Frogs swimming around the pond this morning.  No orgies happening yet or big bellied froggy ladies, but at least they are back and earlier than last year.  :) busy_lizzie

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2007, 17:44:00 »
Have only seen one lonely frog in our pond and none of that froggy vocal noise.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2007, 15:09:52 »
Haven't heard the frogs, but my goodness they have been busy! Three lots in a new pond and one lot in the established pond. Neither will last long with the amount of fish in both! Should I move the spawn to the wildlife pond?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2007, 21:54:57 »
Gardenqueen, Yes I would, as they will be nice tasty bites for your fish.

The ponds are alive with the sound of music in my garden tonight. The frogs are making that lovely deep resonating sound that they make, so I guess they are all at it again, and it won't be long before we have lovely clumps or spawn everywhere.   :) busy_lizzie

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2007, 22:13:33 »
Opened my front door to taxi daughter to her mates, and there sitting on the cill was a beautiful froggy.........tried telling him/her the pond was in the BACK garden! And of course no camera to hand when you need one! ;D
Daughters mate said I needed to kiss it, I replied, sorry already found my Prince! (bleahhhhh)  And you know what they say, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the Prince! ;D ;D
Was a lovely looking froggy tho  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal