Author Topic: DIY Watering  (Read 7356 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: DIY Watering
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 21:46:49 »
I water on average 2/3 times a week and nothing like 3 hours worth. Some bits of 2006 were exceptional but the UK has enough moisture in the soil not to water at all unless you have very sandy soil.
Mulching is the better option.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 23:00:50 »
Ok, how about a lavatory cistern from the waterbutt (add or remove bricks to adjust quantity of water) and a water clock that triggers the emptying of cistern into the watering sytem? :)

Sounds like a version of that 'mouse trap' game...showing me age here.....! ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 07:02:09 »
In live in Harrow Middlesex and our water company is three Valleys Water. Last year's hosepipe ban applied to watering private gardens and car washing. Using a hose on the allotment was allowed, as was filling a paddling pool in the garden using a hose. No real logic in this, as these days you can get some very big paddling pools! I filled our kids' pool and after a few days, when the water went green, I emptied it onto my flower borders.

Thanks for that, i did some more googling and their seems to be a difference of opinion, the Gaurdian web site says it is not allowed but the Daily Mail says the opposite  ???
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 08:29:12 »
Allotments are definitely free from hose pipe bans except in the Thames Water area. I looked into this very thoroughly last summer when I took on a second allotment with a water supply (none at first allotment) and the websites of the water companies specifically said allotments were exempted from the hose ban. We are Southern Water, and their website was unambiguous. Very unfair on those who grow vegetables in a "garden"...

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 08:55:46 »
Hi all,

I think too much carrying water is drudgery and will quickly take the fun out of growing veg, but every body on  my site waters a lot as we are growing in very free draining sandy soil on a slope. We also water neighbouring plots. We are  lucky to not have had a hosepipe ban since I started on my allotments, but I don`t waste water (in my terms) and collect and use rainwater whenever I can and mulch and improve the soil continuosly.

In common with other plot holders on my site I have buried hose pipes running from the standpipes to the ends and middles of my plots. From these connection points I have four way valves that I can connect to a hand-held hose or most commonly seep hoses (a poundland bargain) that snake between the rows.

Having the hose buried in the ground means I don`t have to wind it in and out every time I need it and that nobody will steal it. I just connect it to the tap when I want to water.

My fruit cage has seep hose suspended from the roof which is always interesting as it rains upwards. I also have four water butts that collect from my shed rooves that I also use to fill watering cans.

So I try to find a balance between meeting the needs of the plants through the  growing season, saving myself hard work and time, and long-term water management concerns. I have the materials collected (scavenged)  to be able to build a second tomato house and covered store attached to the original shed, that will create a run of rooves for water collection and storage on my second plot in time for spring.

I have looked at hand and battery pumps that empty your water butts into hose systems but that would be a whole new project that I`m not yet ready for.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 12:05:17 »
Am I right in thinking that of all the plants on the allotment it is the fruits that require the most water?

i.e. if I can only organise one watering system I should aim it at the fruit cage?

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 12:16:14 »
Hi barnowl

I don`t really know. My fruit cage is a very productive environment all of its own. Its very heavily mulched, weed free, and I make a point of giving it lots of water when the bushes are in fruit. I don`t know where those ideas came from, probably this forum and it seems to work.
I get lots of good fruit for relatively little labour.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 12:44:57 »
Very interesting topic.

Just had a thought: using the 2 litre pop/water bottles start off with the cap plugged into the hose and the bottom cut off, then build upwards with further bottles with cut off tops AND bottoms, slotted together vertically and taped together to make very tall bottle reservoirs. Obviously it would have to be taped to something strong and sturdy to carry the weight when full.

I shall be trying it out on the runner beans!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 13:36:44 »
Honestly do people go to such lengths to water their allotments.

Now you see why I don't bother watering, I only water at planting out/sowing time and until the plants get going then it is up to them and nature to do the rest.

A friend of mine who is a national dahlia champion has a very good system and it is this.

His plot is split into many beds (roughly 15ftx4ft each) what he has done is laid a sunken water main with ¾" copper pipe ( plastic would do) down the centre of the plot.

The original system was;

At the end of each bed he has fitted a valved tee, to this tee he has fitted a seeping hose which goes down the centre of each bed, now he can water beds individually if he wants (some varieties need more water than others).

Just a few years ago he upgraded his sytem by adding a 'feeding system', this is based loosely on the hose end feeders you can buy.

What he has done is; he disconnected the seeping hose and fitted containers with lids to the tee pieces so that he can add the fertiliser. Then he fitted an outlet to the container and refitted the seeping hose to the container.

Now at the turn of a tap he can treat each bed in turn with anything it requires e.g. plain water, fertiliser/s

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 15:51:02 »
I over watered last year, I flooded my toms and spuds and various other veg.Other lotties never seem to be there at watering times but I never took anywhere near three hours but was I always last off site. This year I think I will be doing less watering and let the roots find their own supply they are like children if you spoil them every day then they will expect more of the same. Our site has self filling water tanks so its dip your watering cans in and away you go, no hosepipes are allowed but I like the seeping hosepipe idea I think I'll give it a go it saves all the walking up and down, I tried the upside down bottles but it barely let the water out, or poured out, I think they charge us £3 a year on top for water, and I asked about water bans and the guy in charge said they have never had one on the allotment but we still have a hosepipe ban here in Enfield.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 09:35:56 »
We have "self-filling water tanks" and a new arrival has noticed that if you lift off the lid protecting the ballcock, there is a hoseattachment inside.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 09:57:24 »
Never use an automatic system. I have sorted out two gardens that had a lazy mans system, the first everything died when it broke down and as the roots had not gone searching for water  they were so shallow when to topsoil dried up so did they. All of his pots had stagnant compost in them.  The second most of the shrubs and trees had spread so shallow for the same reasons they all blew over in a strong wind.

Some plants need regular watering, but if you trench where they are going and fill it with water retaining materials, once a week is enough. Most of the other plants will find their own moisture if you leave them alone after the initial care when first planting. I always 'puddle' my plants in, or plant in the rain, after that they are on their own unless I spot some struggling.

You have only got to look how well your weeds do without care, to see the logic in my argument.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 10:44:44 »
I only water at planting out/sowing time and until the plants get going then it is up to them and nature to do the rest.

Snap. Although I give nature a helping hand - a hefty layer of mulch outdoors (no exposed soil) and this year two Big Drippa systems for the greenhouse.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 11:13:28 »
You have only got to look how well your weeds do without care, to see the logic in my argument.

The reason i water my plants is to get more prolific and bountiful crops. If you want you could easily test both methods out this summer. I know what i prefer ;)

I have sorted out two gardens that had a lazy mans system, the first everything died when it broke down and as the roots had not gone searching for water  they were so shallow when to topsoil dried up so did they.

If the plants are water for long enough it allows the water to go down deeper therefore encourging the plant roots to search deeper.  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2007, 15:06:45 »
Quote; Am I right in thinking that of all the plants on the allotment it is the fruits that require the most water?

As a general rule plants with a hollow stem need most water e.g Dahlias & Gladioli, fleshy stems are next in the pecking order then woody plants.

And if you think about it, this is relative to the depth of the root system, i.e. shrubs & trees have a deeper root system (as a general rule) so don't need DIY watering.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2007, 15:20:23 »
[quote author=legendaryone link=topic=27708.msg273613#msg273613

If the plants are water for long enough it allows the water to go down deeper therefore encourging the plant roots to search deeper.  :)

[/quote]

Why ever would they want to do that? They will stay where the water is, no need to go deeper

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2007, 16:29:20 »
[quote author=legendaryone link=topic=27708.msg273613#msg273613

Why ever would they want to do that? They will stay where the water is, no need to go deeper
[/quote]

Because the water doesn't just sit there it soaks into the soil going downwards so it makes sense that the roots would also go downwards to follow this water.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2007, 16:47:45 »
well said ace that is common sense ( very common me) no hose on my lotty. only water when newly planted . start most seeds at home where they can get pampered (got to pamper baby,s havn,t you?
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

jclo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 11:11:26 »
Some interesting thoughts there. Thanks to everyone for the comments. Last year the soil I was using was awfull. There was a huge oak and 10 conifers that were stealing all of the water etc from the soil. Now on my lott I wont have that problem. I've been told by other people there that the soil is normally wet and rearlly needs much watering.

tinker

• Half Acre
  • warwickshire
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2007, 07:36:19 »
at our site we have wells with hand pumps, I have a old dustbin that is raised of the floor that i fill using some old downspouts saves carring buckets to top it up ( much quicker ) from the bin I have a leakey hose pipe. The only problem in the middle of summer is beating everyone to the well, before it dries up! I only water thirsty plants like beans and pumpkins on regular basis everthink else gets water if it looks like it is suffering.
All good things come to those who wait!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal