Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 10417 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Windows Vista
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:40 »
Here we ago again. A new wonderfull operating system from Microsoft.

What a RIP OFF! £99 just to upgrade to the most basic version, which lacks most of the new features Vista is supposed to porovide and to me looks not much better than an updated XP.

I have just checked if my system is compatible. It is (should be it was sold as 'Vista ready), however several of my programs wont work with it, including Norton Internet Security 2006! Kind of an important bit of software i am sure you'd agree.

No sorry Microsoft, i will NOT be upgrading to your fancy new baby, and wil be sticking to XP. I just wonder how long they will continue to offer support and updates for XP now its no longer the latest model.

To me all these new upgraded programs are just a way of getting money out of us. I see no other benefit
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:52:35 by Garden Cadet »

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:05:09 »
I wouldn't even consider using a new version of windows until the first service pack has come out despite all the beta testing they are always still full of bugs. Besides linux is getting easier to use all the time & most variations on it are free.

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:46:07 »
Support  for `XP`is  till  2011.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:27:49 »
By 2011 i bet most people will be using it...sadly. As the tools and software apps (not just the OS's) advance PC's will need to be upgraded to run them, and within next 6 months every new PC will come with it as standard...and most people and buisnesses still seem reluctant to go for non MS OS's like Linux.

If your in IT, In some ways your better off getting now to have a head start on others, undoubtably they have made configuring the OS even more complicated and impossible to find the setup screen with the tab on it, with the button on it that takes you to another screen with two more tabs and finally a check box that you think might be the bit that your looking for...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:52:50 »
My OH is getting all excited about Vista's release.  I won't touch it.

I hate MS with a passion.  Wouldn't touch Norton's with yours either Garden Cadet but that's purely personal preference.

Is Vista XP with all the service packs and updates included or is it a completely different OS ?  You can bet your bottom dollar they'll be having all the eager beavers doing all the beta testing for them.

Crooks !   >:(
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 13:21:10 »
I've been updating windows since windows first hit the streets, how many years is that now?
I certainly won't touch it for a long while yet...probably not until I'm forced to. I hate being a test m/c for someone elses software, especially when I have to pay for it.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 13:24:13 »
we tried the beta which was kind of ok

except it would only work on one of our pcs and even then struggeled

i dont like macs ( university disitation day before it was due to be handed in was eaten by a mac! ) and unfortunatly bill gates has my soul so i have to use his products or i will got directly to hell!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 20:33:31 »
I didnt upgrade to XP until we got a new PC with it on. The same will go for Vista too I guess. By that time i would like to think all the bugs will be sorted out.

The most annoying thing is we just got a new pc last august. It was sold as Vista ready but loaded of course with XP SP2. We could upgrade but as our other PC (laptop) is older it would probably have to remain XP. The 2 machines are networked (just). Having 2 operating systems might mess up the network entirely.

The thing that annoys me the most is that when new windows software comes out, it cna render perfectly good software obsolete - since it doesnt work as well with the new OS. I had some good software which worked prefectly with win98, but barely functioned if at all with XP. I predict the same with XP and Vista. Then theres AOL software - it has functionality issues I am certain with XP. I dread to think what it would be like getting it to work with Vista! Even the current AOL browser is a few years old now.

No 'Nanny' Microsoft can stick their new baby as far as I am concerned.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 21:23:32 »
GC,

Why bother with 'Vista'?   -----   for 2yrs. hence?
Why bother with AOHell   ------ Forchristssake at any time?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 13:02:24 »
Tellboy:

No I am not bothering with Vista. If you had read my posts you will have realised this.

AOL - Havent got a choice on that front. Other users in household like it so we stick with it.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 20:07:46 »
ordered a vista laptop for myself today  ;)

but only so I can use it as a test system at work to find out which programs need re-writing etc. The sad thing is we still have plenty of Win98 machines that do everything pretty much instantly and never have any problems. Regardless of how bad the OS is I would not buy a PC (for work) without the latest O/S on it

IMO Vista wont be a problem MS office 2007 will be the bad guy!

Glow

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 20:15:54 »
You're using Office 2007 ???  I'm still on 2003!  MS won't get a ha'penny out of me for a very long time yet !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 20:26:22 »
I'm still using Office 2000, there aren't any features in 2003 or 2007 that I would use,
so why waste money on upgrading.
I've only just put XP on my PC, not through choice though, but that's another story.
I was running windows 2000 for ages quite happily with everything running smoothly.
Now with XP, my dvd writer doesn't work. I've narrowed it down to the problem
being caused by XP, as no dvd writing programs will work.
There are loads of people with the same problem and Microsoft don't have a fix for it.
According to their help and website, dvd writing is not a feature of XP.

I am one who won't be upgrading, as I will probably have to spend a fortune on extra bits
in my pc which aren't Vista compatible.

What does it do that XP doesn't? (that's worth having).
The only thing I've seen on the telly that it does is the windows cycling around
when you switch between applications. Whoopy Dooo!!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 20:42:04 »
I have just consulted the oracle.  I shall pm you !

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 07:17:14 »
You're using Office 2007 ???  I'm still on 2003!  MS won't get a ha'penny out of me for a very long time yet !

;D
Nope were not on office 2007, what I meant to say was that office 2007 will cause the problems. Historically all my work based problems have not been caused by internal hardware/software but external.
eg we export most of our goods so deal with international customers - unfortunately this includes the "must have the latest" Americans. So we expect a rush of off 2007 documents saved in the new "backwards incompatible" formats that we wont be able to open.
This will then force us to react, possibly by buying office 2007 ourselves which then will need a more powerfull pc with vista. Then non of our printers, hardware, bespoke software etc will work etc etc etc bit of a M$ induced vicious circle.
hence the need to buy a vista machine as soon as to test and be ready to react.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 07:29:49 »
bloody americans !   bloody Gates !  Bloody bloody !  8)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 09:15:06 »
I have tried the beta version of office 2007 and yes there are problems with it!! it caused my pc to crash unexpectedly, maybe after 20 mins or 6 hours! I never knew when it was going to happen!!!
Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 22:33:11 »
Lesson here,

Don't tread where the amateurs fear to tread.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 08:38:26 »
Got mine today

talk about over security conscious

other than that its just a pretty xp with gadgets - the home versions may be better tho with the music/video side of things

incidentally I did a basic install and the windows folder was 6.7GB!

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 23:52:42 »
Will not bother upgrading for a year or so, just because everything is running perfectly under Windows XP Pro since procuration.  Am so sad though that no 2 son's Dorling Kindersley educational CDs (inherited from no 1 son 5 years older) won't work on our XP machines at all.  Our PCs running Windows '98 went caput a few years ago so if anyone has any bright ideas as to how to get these CDs to work again, I'd be eternally grateful. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal