Author Topic: Birdsongs  (Read 3131 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Birdsongs
« on: May 03, 2004, 11:43:07 »
Just a quick question.

What is your favorite birdsong/call?

Mine has to be the blackbird's. Was out all afternoon saturday in the garden and I dont thing our blackbird stopped singing all afternoon. It was wonderfull  :)  An integral part of spring i think.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:Birdsongs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 12:04:23 »
Must disagree with you there Richard .For me its the male Canary followed by the Skylark.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 13:40:38 »
For me I think the Chaffinch.  It seems to have a different call at different times of the year.  Spring call is particularly melodious.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 14:48:26 »
Richard i have to agree with you the blackbirds song is wonderfull,
 about 4ish most dayswe have a blackbird who sits on our fence and i swear he sings for me HA HA . All the bird song is such a joy to listen to each day. :) :).

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 16:05:21 »
Has to be the skylark for me too followed closely by blackbird, song thrush, wren and robin.  :D

Love waking up to all the birds singing their hearts out each morning. No better sound in the world to compare in my opinion.  8)

Eileen.

P.S.
Wish I could hear a cuckoo again but haven't had one around here in years.  :'( :'(

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 19:51:35 »
Without a doubt my favourite is the Nightingale, combine that bird's song with the heady scent of honeysuckle..its a recipe for heaven!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 22:10:56 »
Eileen i don`t think i`v heard a little wren  :'( unless i have and i diden`t know. My little robin makes my heart sing when i hear him,
and i agree there isen`t a sound to match the early dawn chorus.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 22:35:09 »
I too like listening to the Blackbird and Thrush, beautiful song.  I like the Robins song in Autumn when everything else has stopped.  I enjoy the twittering of the Swallows and the sound of the Yellow hammers on my roof.   It is quite amazing the strength of the little wrens song.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 10:12:56 »
Okay, spanner in the works time, the owl!  No idea which owl, but when we lived in Kent in the middle of nowhere Ava and I used to sit in the garden and we could hear them twit wooing.  So haunting.  Love blackbirds....but other than that, I am rather uneducated on bird song, but to be honest, I just love hearing all the different birds, whether they are crows and rooks, the woodpeckers tapping away, or the ducks that quack as they fly over my head when I am at the allotment!   ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 16:33:27 »
I have to confess we dont have that many actual songbirds around our way apart from the blackbirds. Plenty of others around of course but not many I'd actualy call a songster. Even then the blackbird is the old one I can positively identify. Tis said i still love the song and can even do a passable imitation of it by whistling.

Love to have more songbirds around particularly thrushes ( to get rid of some slugs and snails  ;D).  Shame but the Bl**dy magpies probable scare all but the blackbirds away  >:(

Heard an owl like EJ heard one night last summer when the windows were open. Tawny I think by the 'twit -twoo' call.  Have to agree 'haunting' is a good word for it.  Spooky is another, as it was the only sound on a very quiet night.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 00:10:10 »
Two more, not really "songs", the cry of the Curlew and Grouse....reminds me of many happy hours on the uplands of Northern England.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 00:11:05 by Chaz Hunter »

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 08:00:01 »
As a birdwatcher (no not a twitcher - they race around the countryside looking for rarities) I love to hear them all, even the owls when they wake me during the night. We are lucky enough to live in an area that is surrounded by wildlife (the Fens and Ouse Washes), so have heard Bitterns and Night Jars, but everyone should just enjoy what's on offer around them.

Eileen - not only heard the cuckoo on Sunday, but saw it sitting in the tree. Also had a large flight of Swifts over the garden, screaming their arrival. Martins and Swallows were flying over the house during the Easter holiday, I'm always pleased to see them after their long journey.

Granny is still your best friend !

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 11:04:38 »
I love blackbirds too.  We seem to have lots around us and at the lottie.  We don't know if it is the same one, but there is a blackbird that is always poised when we are digging, ready to jump in to investigate any worms.  It always puts it little head on one side when we talk to it and seems quite tame.  I love in the evenings too just before dusk when you can hear them singing and also just after the rain - It is the most lovely sound.

I am very found of swallows as well - they always seem so happy and as if they are constantly at play.  I like the little chattery noise they make in the evenings when they are swooping and soaring. Like EJ I like any birdsong generally, and would love to hear a nightingale and a few other more exotic sounds that we don't have access too in the Town. We have seagulls, which I know annoy some people, but I like to hear the occasional seabird.  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal