Author Topic: dogwoods  (Read 2600 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
dogwoods
« on: January 21, 2007, 13:15:04 »
I am sure now is the time, but please just confirm for me that now is the time to be cutting down the coloured stemmed dogwoods to create lots of new growth for coloured stems next winter.  :)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: dogwoods
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 13:20:29 »
I would keep them a bit longer to get the benefit of the colours, after all thats why most people have them. You might end up with a load of dead ends on the stems if it gets cold.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 13:29:16 »
A bit early Em. End of March, early April is the normal time for cutting them back.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 15:30:39 »
Super, thanks chaps.  ;D  I shall hold off a bit longer.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 18:12:10 »
A bit early Em. End of March, early April is the normal time for cutting them back.

Mine are usualy sprouting leaf by then eric!

I usualy do mine in early march , but i guess the further north you are or the colder your garden the later you'd do it. In any event, keep those lovely bright stems as long as you can - they look so dull once cut back to a few stumps!

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 19:26:25 »
I believe that the colour of the stems intensifies as it gets really cold, so with the predicted cold spell dogwoods should come into their own.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 00:15:21 »
I used red dogwood stems for peasticks last year and they looked really pretty with the bright green shoots growing through them.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 00:19:24 »
I used red dogwood stems for peasticks last year and they looked really pretty with the bright green shoots growing through them.
I use mine as an edging to my borders - to keep the plants off the lawn. Have also tried it with willow prunings - not recomended!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 12:55:21 »
I used willows for bean poles one year, they just grew. By the time The beans were fihished, I had well-established willow trees to get rid of.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 16:20:45 »
How many Dogwoods do you need to get a good visual effect? OH has been thinking of putting some in...
With willow strip the bark off the bottom 6" or so, the bit going into the soil should stop them taking root.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 16:32:45 »
How many Dogwoods do you need to get a good visual effect? OH has been thinking of putting some in...
With willow strip the bark off the bottom 6" or so, the bit going into the soil should stop them taking root.

As many as you have room for really but realisticaly plant in groups of 3 or 5. If you can use different varieties/stem colours so much the better, as it makes for a more interesting effect.

I have a border along my driveway, where i have 3 different types planted, and although they are planted seperately, rather than in a group, they are looking really good at the moment. So much so that i have nominaly dubbed the border the 'winter border' even though it has summer flowering shrubs in it as well.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 16:33:14 »
I have three in a row only 2' apart for effect, but I will move the middle one to the end as they get more established. They are as tough as old boots and will move at nearly any age. Don't get the yellow stems they are not half as  impressive as the red ones. Now if you really want colour go for a coral bark maple, the colder it gets the pinker it goes.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 11:03:55 »
Here is a picture of my 'winter border' where most of my Dogwoods are. I have others dotted around the garden(plus others in pots), but this is the largest group of them. i have plans to revamp these and have a group in the middle of the border with other plants either side. 

I know what you mean ACE about moving them about I have a couple of dogwoods that have had more than one home! One in particular has had 4!

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 22:25:06 »
Love the box hedge. 8)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 12:38:45 »
Love the box hedge. 8)

Thanks, I am very pleased with it. Sadly though I think its done for the daffodils planted in front of it. They have got fewer and fewer since the box was planted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal