Author Topic: My spell of good luck!  (Read 3327 times)

gerbera

• Half Acre
My spell of good luck!
« on: January 30, 2007, 19:47:00 »
Hi,

Last year was pretty awful, lots of things went wrong, lots of stress, culminating in my Grandma passing away.  :'(

However, since then, I have been blessed with a remarkable spell of good luck.

Firstly, I was offered some work as a teaching assistant in my little boys school where I volunteer twice a week as a "parent helper". As I am hoping to train as a teacher, this is invaluable, and gives me confidence to progress with teaching as a career. :)

I also looked into completing my degree through the Open University, and found that, as I am a single mum, I have been granted funding to cover my course costs, plus a small grant, which more than covers the cost of my books etc.  ;)

Then, on a gardening front, I was told by my landlord, that the overgrown patch of land next to the railway track fence near my house, actually belongs with the house, even though its not connected.....and I can do whatever I want with it! It used to be a lovely garden....about a decade ago....but its now overgrown, with brambles and ground elder. Its mostly shady....about 1/3 gets a reasonable amount of sun...but it beats my tiny paved garden and its 1/2 million Morrisons pots for growing veg!

PLUS....the strong winds that caused so many problems for many people, actually helped me out BIG TIME! I had a massive, gigantic, (pain in the a@$e) pine tree in front of the house next to mine. It blocked out all light to the front of my property, and created a "christmas-carpet" effect with its ever-dropping needles, which were contantly being walked into the house. It has also made every little seed I have lovingly sowed turn into a leggy, weak, pathetic seedling. Well, in the gales, the tree snapped clean off at the base.....luckily missing the cars travelling on the main road in front of my house. It cut off the Macclesfield - Stockport side of the road and caused traffic chaos......but had the wind been blowing in the other direction......it would have landed on top of me,sitting on my sofa, and I certainly wouldn't be typing this now.   :o My house is lighter and brighter, the carpet is needle-free....the only down-side is that now the sun shines through the window...I can see how dirty it is! So, (as soon as I've got the window-cleaning out of the way)...I can't wait to sow seed! 8)

And there's more......I saw an ad in the newsagent window for a free 6x8 greenhouse, something I couldn't afford to splash out on for myself......and phoned up to find it's located just over the road....it's mine....and I'll be collecting it on Saturday! It even comes with 2 waterbutts (that's a super-special treat when you don't have a water supply in your garden!). So if you are travelling on the main road through Poynton (Cheshire) on Saturday, you might just see my brother, step-dad and I carrying the (still-assembled) greenhouse frame across the road! ;D

I feel like all my christmasses have come at once! It's given me the kick up the back-side I need to get the over-grown patch of land into cultivation. I'm a born cynic....but I like to imagine my Grandma had a hand in it all....she was a keen gardener and cook (like me)......and I've never had such an amazing spell of good luck!

Sorry for the lengthy post....I just thought I'd share my tales of good fortune with you all, because you will probably all be able to appreciate how excited I am at the prospect of this new (much enhanced) growing season!

P.S. ......Yes......I've bought a lottery ticket for the next draw....just in case this lucky spell continues  ;)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Re: My spell of good luck!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 19:51:36 »
Got my fingers crossed for ya creckless  ;)  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 20:00:17 »
So good to hear that the ups and downs are starting to come into balance creckless, long may it continue :-* Your 'new' garden patch sounds like a little piece of heaven! :)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 20:08:38 »
Hi creckless it seems to me that you now have a fairy godmother sitting on your shoulder looking after you,  what a wonderful thing to have and I am sure she will continue to look after you - and I wish you all the best with your Open University degree and the job  :) :) :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 20:58:28 »
Lovely news- good luck with it all! :)

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 21:06:24 »
Thanks everyone! I'll post some pictures of the uncultivated (but much appreciated!) extra growing space I've been blessed with. Its going to be a lot of work...but I'm sure it will be worth it. Especially as I've been on the waiting list for my local allotment site for about 18 months....and was told the people at the top of the list have been waiting for about 8 years.

Had a lovely week. Especially as my best gardening buddy and I went to get a car full of manure from a local stables this week. You have never seen two people get so excited about a pile of $h!t in all your life!  ::) Needless to say, we're going back for more before the week is out!

Happy gardening everyone! x :-*

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 23:18:19 »
Loved reading your post Creckless - thank you for sharing it with us  8). Now looking forward to seeing the before and after photos and hearing how it all goes with the GH at the weekend.

Good luck :)

Tricia

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 23:21:54 »
Don't push it though, the lottery ticket is  a step too far even for Gran.....
Hoping everything pans out as well as it promises. You're not the only one to get excited about piles of Sh*t.... thankfully "it happens" to most of us!
 ;D

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:07:13 »
Such good news! :) And I can only say the Open University is fabulous. I just finished my degree, and I got a grant too. Be sure to use the resources they have if you need them. I was pretty anti-social but they do have local tutorial groups and you can even pull together a more casual local study group if you need it. And while some courses have online forums there is always a student-run online forum too - so you can really shout for help in those. :) Or just moan about stuff or share silly stories. And the best thing is last in 2006 the NUS accepted the Open University into their arms, so you can get an associate membership which means student discounts everywhere and even a student rail card.

Okay, I'll stop rambling now.
Your tree story did make me smile. That is a fantastic result from the winds. ;D Now you need just the right rain to clean those windows...

Tina.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 20:48:41 »
Lovely post, Creckless, really nice to hear some good news.  :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 21:46:37 »
Great news Creckless, your Grandma is certainly smiling down on you. All the best to you. ;D

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 22:03:38 »
How lovely to hear some good news for a change! :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 11:24:32 »
Hope your good luck continues (or maybe that is being greedy ;D) Take it easy getting that plot sorted. Don't forget the pics at different stages.
Lorna.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 12:47:48 »
What a wonderful post!....2007's certainly going to be your year - and we're only just into Feb ::)

I'm really excited for you on all fronts 8)
Lish

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 12:55:58 »
It was so lovely to hear the at things are going so well for you and the fact that you appreciate it is so nice. So many folks take thing for granted nowadays. Send me some of your fairy dust please.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 16:49:44 »
Nice to hear someone  with a good luck story for a change all the best in 2007 and I agree granny is watching over you, get a couple of lucky dips the weekend while your on a roll. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 00:02:58 »
What a lovely story. I'm so pleased for you :) :)I hope everything grows really well for you.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 09:44:15 »
 ;D

How lovely! I like a story with a happy ending! Well done you and good luck with the new garden

;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal