Author Topic: Squash skins  (Read 2447 times)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Squash skins
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 14:51:31 »
Good point.  :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 16:47:39 »
I thought you must be scottish Marymary as i know from living in Scotland they seem to deep fry lots of things e.g. mars bars, haggis not iron bru though probably as it's also a liquid like soup! that's probably the only reason though.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 17:49:39 »
I'm not Scottish Kea but I made some lentil soup last week that the next day I could have easily sliced & fried - didn't though! :)

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 20:01:31 »
If your squash skins have toughened up and you want to peel them for required dish,stick them in the microwave for about 20 seconds and this makes them a lot easier to peel. :)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 20:18:11 »
yes MaryMary but you have to dip the Mars Bars into batter first - has anyone noticed that Mars Bars have got small or have I got bigger ??? ??? ???

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 20:40:16 »
If your squash skins have toughened up and you want to peel them for required dish,stick them in the microwave for about 20 seconds and this makes them a lot easier to peel. :)
Thanks for that V O. I had to purchase a butternut today as we have finished our home growns, and I can see the skin is really hard. I wasn't looking forward to peeling it.
Smile, it confuses people.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 22:42:53 »
Like Cream Eggs they are about the size of my bantam eggs now & I'm sure they used to be the size of my hybrid's eggs but then maybe it was just that we were smaller.  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 14:36:15 »
Hey euronerd, I found a pic of sauteed squash skin through Google today.

Did you give it a go? ::)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 17:55:57 »
Oooooh, now they look.............interesting :-\

cj :)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2007, 19:46:25 »
What an amazing coincidence ss. I've just finished trying a few.* These weren't butternut peelings but the skin from one of my own winter squash - baby bear from memory; I don't get through a vast number of squash at the best of times. Anyway I cut the skins into strips, about the size of a french fry and sautéed them for about five minutes, which resembled frying more than sautéeing, but a lovely texture, very similar to pork crackling, with the sweetness of the flesh just noticeable. I daresay they'd be even better deep fried. I guess something that was thinly peeled would absorb less fat. I'll keep trying.  ;D
*I've actually been tryin to post since late afternoon; somethings's slowing the proceedings down.  :-\

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 07:23:38 »
Vegetarian pork crackling - that's gotta be too good to be true!
Keep updating as you try euronerd, I only have a few HUGE squash left to try :'( ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 16:01:51 »
Hi. I have a couple of recipes for watermelon rind pickles if anyone wants it!!It is OK by the way, very crunchy, like dill pickles.

xx Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 19:23:57 »
Yes Mars bars are smaller now, its so you can deep fry them let them cool and put them back in their wrappers to send down south  :-)

Seriously though I made them once for fun in clean oil with nice batter and they were GREAT!! Especially with ice cream. It probably took 3 years off my life probably but I dont care. The problem is they're usually done in the ancient fishy oil you get in chip shops.

You get deep fried pizza too, its truly revolting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal