Author Topic: "Gages"  (Read 2363 times)

nenerover

• Not So New ...
  • All home grown
"Gages"
« on: January 25, 2007, 16:05:57 »
Hi all,
        My name is Peter and I have an allotment in Wallasey, Merseyside. I'm considering growing a "Gage". Can anyone advise me as to what cultivar to buy, there are several plumbs on the allotment, one in the plot next to mine. The plot is in full sun all day.
Many thanks Peter
Sunshine and gentle rain to you all.
Peter J Bennett

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: "Gages"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 16:18:51 »
welcome, peter, sorry, don't have gages, no doubt someone will have, we only have plums  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 16:38:01 »
Hello, I can't help you either, but this site has information on the pollination etc and lots of people on here seem to use them:

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Plums__Gages___Damson_Trees_22.html

Hope someone comes along who can help better...

T.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 17:23:51 »
I've found Cambridge Gage the most reliable for me and Oulin's Golden the best flavoured.
 :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 17:42:29 »
The best fruit ever! Both are nice.

I see that both Cambridge & Oullins are claimed to be 'self fertile' - but elsewhere as 'partially'! Check what your other lotterers have - it could help your choice.

Arrange to harvest before the wasps get them!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 18:04:53 by tim »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 18:25:13 »
I have Cambridge Gage, and there's never been a problem with pollination apart from the off spring when it was too cold for pollinators to be out when it was flowering. Any plum seems to do the job. Personally I love the things.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 18:46:31 »
I was given an Oullinn's when I moved from my last job about 4 years ago, it's a beautiful tree.  I have only had a few fruit on it each year but they are delicous.  As Tim says you have to be alert to beat the wasps.

nenerover

• Not So New ...
  • All home grown
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 20:18:24 »
Hi All,
          first of all thanks to all who answered my plea. Secondly what a great responce, I have definitely joined the right web-site "A4A". I look forward to the future with so many proper "land-lovers" at my call and I hope to put in my tuppence worth when ever I can.
Nice weather to you all, Peter.
Peter J Bennett

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 10:36:53 »
Hi all,l

last time lidls had trees they had different varieties of `gages.
I think they are due to have more gardening stuff due in soon
(another thread) so if anyones intrested that may be a good
be a good time to pick up a couple of trees cheap.

Col

(of course they may not but its worth making a note of the varieties mentioned on the off-chance)
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 10:53:22 »
Hi Nenerover

I also live on the Wirral and have my lottie in Upton - welcome to the site
How long have you had yours I have only just got mine so learning all the time - i am sure you will find everyone so helpful and friendly

BB ;D

nenerover

• Not So New ...
  • All home grown
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 19:05:07 »
Hi "Blue Bird",
                       my plot is in Poulton and I've had it for 3 years. Although I left school at 14 and ran away to sea I've lived in Wallasey for a few years now. like yourself I'm learning all the time. I had a good start in life as my granddad had about 10 acres of fantastic arable land in the "Fens" Cambs and he taught me quite a bit about the allotment as he would call it. Although we can't have them now we also had pigs geese and chickens. My main job during the summer holidays with my homemade catapult was to keep the birds of the fruit trees. If I managed to bag a couple wood pigions I'd get thruppence apiece. Them were the days but I still enjoy my plot and sometimes the sounds and smells take me back to those almost long forgotten childhood days.
Got a bit carried away there hope its alright
Regards peter
PS Went to Lidl and got an Oullins Golden Gage £3.99 wot value.
Peter J Bennett

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 20:42:20 »
Hi Pete at least you have 3 years on me !!! It is great that there is someone so near on this site.  What are you growing this year?? Have just planted out raspberry canes and J artichoke Oh yes and garlic and can not wait to get other bits in  :)

Not as fortunate as your self as had not grand parents to help out when I was younger both partents did not get married until in their late 30's so both sets of grand parents well gone by the time I came around.  My memories are of sand dunes in North Wales and the sound of seagulls and the smell of the beach.  what great days they where to grow up (early 1950's) at least then the children could play out without the worries we have today

Norma

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 21:07:17 »
The plot you have is it the ones you can see when you drive over the motorway fly over???

nenerover

• Not So New ...
  • All home grown
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 20:15:19 »
Hi Norma,
              we are very fortunate you cannot see our site at all until you get to the gates. We do have a bit of vandalism but in the 3 to 4 years I've not been touched (touch wood).
Peter
Peter J Bennett

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 20:54:53 »
It seems that on the site in Upton we have had a small amount the last was back in October the ----ards burt down 3 sheds

It is out of the way and unless you know the area you would not know it is there
right at the bak of the grave yard.

Went down today for a couple of hours to put 8 barrows of horse poop onto the bed I am going to put potatoes in - the chap that had it last year had no luck growing potaoes but his carrots were brill !!
Do you get anything free from the council? it seems that some of the folks on the forum get alsorts from theirs.

We do get horse poop from the local stables but that is all.

How are you getting on with your plot what are you up to?
Norma

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal