Author Topic: Hotbeds  (Read 1653 times)

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
Hotbeds
« on: January 25, 2007, 13:21:34 »
Hi All,

Given as I'm hoping to finally knock down what remains of the part rotted, part burnt-out green houses which I inherited with the plot, I was thinking of how best to make use of the brick footings which are still reasonably sturdy. One has low brickwork so may just plant tender stuff inside to give a little more shelter.

The second has a good 3' wall which I was thinking I could use to build a hotbed against since I've got a friend who keeps two horses - free fresh muck. By my understanding these are ideally covered, in the same way as a cold frame but deeper such that you can lay in a thick layer of fresh manure, cover with straw, then lay about a foot of soil on top. The idea being that the rotting manure provides plenty of heat as well as some nutrients, so that you can bring on early (or even winter) salad/squashes/pineapples!  (Well I think the Victorians usually used heating pipes as well for pineapple pits over winter)

Has anybody tried this?

cheers
Pete

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Hotbeds
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 13:25:09 »
we've only tried the 'dig a big hole, fill half with new muck, soil on top, plant a melon' method ...that's in the poly.
nice that you've got the foundations, you could grow all sorts in them  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 13:25:18 »
I'm trying it for the first time this year in straw bales - have the pony poo in the back of the wagon. Once I get it into the straw 'box' I'll allow a couple of weeks then pop in some Swift and Rocket, to see which do better. Then melons once the patooties come out. They have one at Barnsdale gardens, which they get going immediately after Christmas! Would love to know how you do with yours :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 13:29:40 »
i dont think that your going to lose out trying.

The poo being fresh you cant really used on your normal beds so if it does not work then you will end up with aged manure you can use at the end of the year.

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal