Author Topic: bees  (Read 4160 times)

the_plotter

• Not So New ...
  • aaarg rain again!
bees
« on: April 28, 2004, 20:53:45 »
I was annoyed today to discover one of my fellow plot holders who has been doing a bee keeping course, has been refused permission to place a bee hive on his allotment. bees and gardens or allotments go together naturally. local councils make decisions without much thought for the plot holders feelings. if they had asked the rest of the tennants first i am sure no one would have been against it. does any one else have beehives on their plot?
     the plotter

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:bees
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 22:38:31 »
Hi - there's a thread in Edible Plants which has some very useful links.  http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2578 - hope this takes you to it (otherwise, it's currently on page 2, near the bottom.

If the beekeeper is a member of his/her local beekeeping association, affiliated to the BBKA, their membership includes "Third Party Insurance for £5,000,000, also covering your bees, honey and other products."  Which might go some way to allaying the council's fears?

All best - Gavin

the_plotter

• Not So New ...
  • aaarg rain again!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 23:05:06 »
many thanks i will print your reply and give it to him. i thik our local council makes up rules and regulations as they please

the plotter

garfield

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 21:18:22 »
     Hello recognise Garfield Dan

the_plotter

• Not So New ...
  • aaarg rain again!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 21:18:56 »
hi there dan nice to see you onboard

garfield

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 16:58:26 »
     hello there I am here  keep in touch

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: bees
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 23:06:14 »
Contact the BBKA, who I know to support beekeeping on allotments. Try to find others who keep bees on allotments, and see if you can get a campaign started. The main problem is ignorance; if you keep good-tempered, low-swarming bees in reasonable numbers, and have them behind a six-foot fence or hedge so they they fly above head level, there's no need for them to bother anyone. I've had bees on my plot, illegally, for five years, and never had a problem. There's absolutely no need for beekeeping to have a poor image, especially given the importance of bees to the economy (about 1/3 of our food supply depends, directly or indirectly, on pollination by bees).

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 10:13:52 »
We can keep bees on our lotties but I agree with an earlier post that council's do make up the rules as they go along and sometimes they need to be questioned
I came, I saw, I composted

Linda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 16:00:01 »
We're not allowed bees either, but in a couple of years time, we are going to be able to re-negotiate our leases, so hopefully we will be able to resolve that one.

Love and compost
Linda

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal