Author Topic: greenhouse leaking  (Read 6091 times)

tuinman

• Half Acre
greenhouse leaking
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:42:46 »
hi all,

we have had a lot of rain of late and my greenhouse is water logged. Its an aluminium and it looks in good condition. i think its getting past the rubber seals. has anyone the same problem and if so how do i fix it.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: greenhouse leaking
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:25:16 »
Silicone sealant will fill gaps well. You'll need to take the glass out and refit though!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 13:52:12 »
Quote; Silicone sealant will fill gaps well.

I tried this once and OK it worked, but some time later I had a pane of glass broken and it was a devil of a job to repair. The stuff stuck like the proverbial to a blanket.

Back to the question; The rubber seals may have perished and blocking the water channels below.

I found removing the seals altogether and sitting the glass directly on to the aluminium works OK and the channels remain clear.

The choice is yours.

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:03:11 »
Ours does too but I know it's because we didn't do a very good job of fitting all the pieces properly. My husband is hopeless at angles and things but he says this year he is going to town on it, cleaning out thoroughly and filling all gaps so I am glad for tip about sealant although he is likely to have his own ideas. See what happens ::)  PS He is very good at concreting so the shaped little ledge he is putting all around the base should improve things.

grassroots

• Half Acre
  • If at first you dont succeed GIVE UP.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 23:48:36 »
The rubber seals for a aluminium greenhouse you can get from B&Q and all other bit's and pieces for a greenhouse.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 23:52:41 »
We have 2 greenhouses. One in the garden & one in the allotment. After the gales this year - the one with all the broken glass was in the garden, 8/9 broken sheets of glass. The allotment - in tact. This was the one I had sealed all glass in with silicone. So this year I intend to repeat this with the one in the garden.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal