Author Topic: melon madness - too dim for words  (Read 2080 times)

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
melon madness - too dim for words
« on: April 28, 2004, 18:31:56 »
help - reading (somewhere) that melons needed a long growing season, I sowed some ages ago. I have lights  (ahem!) so they have been growing away nicely. Too bloody nicely as they are putting on triffid-like growth speeds and I fear they will be busting out of my wardrobe - also, another crop due to commandeer space. Most stuff I have read says stuff like ' they can be grown in a coldframe', dead casually. Erm....how? I cannot quite imagine a rampant melon in my coldframe. And it is a big one (how boastful you are tonight, suzy)In what? A pot? Obviously, I have lottie delusional illness and have not really thought everything through (like i ever!) but I have these four huge leafy things which I fear for when their accommodation must come to an end. Oh yeah, I should mention the 6 cucumbers too.
Any suggestions....pleeeeeese. I have a lot of polythene!
And love building 'constructions'.
cheers, suzy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:melon madness - too dim for words
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 18:35:34 »
 - as good as your word !!

Just sowed some cus today - much like melons? Yes, everything likes a long season, but in the UK you take what you get?  Yes - we've grown melons in a cold frame.  Limit them severely!

We'll try to think up an answer!! = Tim

« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 18:40:12 by tim »

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 18:24:49 »
OK- calm down, have a glass of whatever and relax :)

This may sound a bit `mucky` but imagine youself lying in the cold frame with arms and legs stretched out-that is how you train your melon in a frame.

You take out the top and encourage the `laterals` the same way you would with a cucumber but along the ground rather than upright.

Stephan.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 18:52:24 »
Stephan I really will have to find out who all on the lottie site is going to be growing cus laterally and - though I might not enjoy the picture - I will be thinking of them lying stretched out in a cold frame - confused about what parts of the human frame would be "top", laterals" and "upright" though!!  Don't enlighten me!  ;) :-[

Megan
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 19:14:29 »
Perfect description, Stephan. And Megan, melons, I think? Cus are less fussy. = Tim
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 19:15:22 by tim »

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 08:03:17 »
I'm a first time meloneer and after reading this thread I pulled out my little alphabetical lottie notebook (an addressbook really) where I write all the tidbits I pick-up along the way, a lot of them coming from this board.

Under the M for melons:
Plant out late May in greenhouse or tunnel. Fruit only on side branches - pinch top after 5th leaf - pinch side branches after 6th leaf - top after 2nd leaf behind the fruit. Lots of water but not cold. High nitrogen feed when in flower. Open to air on warm days for insect pollination - for hand pollination, male flowers grow together, females grow single and have a k-nob (hahaha, the auto nasty word catcher changed k-nob to thingy hehehe).

Do the experienced melon growers agree with this?

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 21:21:23 »
meloneer! love it! thanks ina, stephan, wicker and tim - am much much calmer - especially since I have just done some timely nipping. cheers all, suzy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal