Author Topic: nvs  (Read 792 times)

groundcover

• Not So New ...
nvs
« on: January 21, 2007, 20:07:03 »
hi everyone. anyone a member of the national vegetable society? i get the impression that this organisation only caters for the show grower, what do you guys think?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: nvs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 14:55:45 »
Well I am not a member of the nvs but I used to be a member of the NDS (National Dahlia Society) and if the nvs is anything like the nds I can see where you are coming from but I would have to say you are quite wrong.

Although it is true they cater for the 'show grower' most of the members are just people like you and me who have given there time to the betterment of the Vegetable or in my case the Dahlia.

For instance when you go to a 'top show' and you see what these people have produced you may 'drool' and wonder how did they got them like this? well in most cases you only have to ask who is on duty, and they will gladly tell you.

They will point out types of plant to buy, literature to read and now that we have the internet, websites to go to.

I am also a member of the RHS and I know If I have a problem I can ask and within in a short space of time they supply me with their expert advice.

Oddly enough in a roundabout way some of the advice I give here at A4A  is a result of getting information from societies such as these.

But I take your point perhaps these societies should try a bit more to get rid of this image.

groundcover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 18:59:10 »
I agree with most of your points and i also think its great that these show people are willing to share their advice to anyone that needs it, however. i come from the newcastle upon tyne area which just in case you dont know is pot leek country.   
Getting advice on showing pot leeks from these guys is like getting blood from a stone, but i suppose the amount of prize money up for grabs i dont blame them.
Ive got nothing against the nvs in general, i just think they should explain that they cater more for the show grower than they do for the ordinary guy who just wants to grow vegetables for his family.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 19:39:18 »
I've just joined because I wanted info on growing good vegetables. Not necessary for showing but just for good advice.
They apparently issue a booklet every three months and I received all last years booklets all in one go and there was lots of good ideas.
No regrets as yet.

Rosemary

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 15:12:59 »
Quote; Getting advice on showing pot leeks from these guys is like getting blood from a stone, but i suppose the amount of prize money up for grabs i dont blame them.

Yes I agree they are the only people I know that have a 'shotgun' as part of their garden tool set ;) ;) ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal