Author Topic: What to do now?  (Read 821 times)

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
What to do now?
« on: January 22, 2007, 13:18:56 »
Howdy, with the return of the big shiny yellow thing (still not too sure what it is), I've been able to get to the plot this weekend and get digging (I benefit from nice well draining soil).

I have been ale to finally, after much huffing, the last (hopefully) of the bramble root that had plagued my herb bed as well as dig & prepare my final raised bed.

Question is...what to really do with it all now - I kinda know that :

Spuds in March+ depending on what they are
onion sets March
Shallots march
Everything else April onwards...

...I don't have a cold frame yet (this years project - anticipated for end of year).....

What I need to know is can I get any of the onion sets or shallots going now to help get an early crop? (can I plant then in those funny little cardboard mulched pots and then transplant them to the plot later)....or should I leave them in the shed in the light and hope that they start to sprout themselves?

Any advice?...also...anything else you'd recommend starting soon (I plan to get a cloche going)?

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: What to do now?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 13:27:33 »
As you're in Reading, you should be able to sow quite a few things in March (provided the weather is not too beastly). I normally sow lettuce, spring onions, rocket and radishes by the middle of March, early carrots and Boltardy beetroot by the end of March. I started the lettuce and spring onions in modules on the window sill, all the rest was sowed direcly.

Last year I planted all my spuds by the end of March (I'm in London). Never grown shallots before, but I think they can go in even earlier.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 13:37:58 »
If you haven't already looked, look in here;  http://tinyurl.com/yn57zu

According to my 'Frost zone chart  http://tinyurl.com/y57avq you should be about two or three weeks in front of me.

I hope this helps.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 13:46:50 »
Hello pigface, good for you getting out among the brambles - still too wet underfoot here.
TeeGee's calendar and frost guide are spot on for me, highly recommended.
I also use this calendar; change the default to your postcode, and planting dates for your area come up as if by magic!
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/veg_planner.asp
Remember that planting in succession will give you longer harvest times and fresher food. We love baby broad beans and ran out too early last year. This year I'll be sowing from March to June and hoping to get a long run!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 19:33:17 »
I have just planted some shallots at the WE, I am in Essex. Broad beans as well can be planted, am re sowing when some have not come up ? mice or squirrels.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal