Author Topic: Allotment progress: December; getting there..!  (Read 2946 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Allotment progress: December; getting there..!
« on: January 19, 2007, 18:08:11 »
December was spent finishing off the painting of the raised beds, and preparing for the delivery of a load of manure for the 'long' rows on the left. I planted some shallots in the allium beds, and tried to keep the foxes off with all my scavenged cloches and mesh! I have got some weed proof membrane to cover the paths with, but nothing to put on top of it yet!

Manure delivery! I need to dig over the middle bit of the left bed to get the remains of the couch out before I manure on top; still too wet to do that so far. Leaning against the railings you can just about see some heeled in apple trees (cheapies from Lidl); I've pruned them as cordons and am planning to make a 'criss cross' line across the plot, I'm just waiting for the posts and wires to be put in.

The greenhouse is still without its glass at this point, but the rosemary bush transplants make it look like they've been there for ages!

The den: made this from willow withies (another eBay purchase!); my son wants to sleep in it! I didn't follow the instructions exactly, we wanted it to look quite rustic rather than perfectly geometric. It's sprouting alreadyat the top, hopefully will be very green by the summer.  The night after constuction, a fox cub left me a little present right in the middle of the weedproof membrane.....can I take it they do or don't approve?!

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: Allotment progress: December; getting there..!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 18:12:02 »
WOW :o :o :o! This is just getting more and more impressive! Great work!

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 18:15:19 »
Love the willow den - is the willow still on ebay?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 18:42:23 »
What a transformation. You must be really pleased after all the hard work you have put in to it. Really enjoyed looking at all your pics, keep em coming.
Lorna.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 18:46:28 »
Yes, the willow is still available...although I confess I did not pay what he is currently asking as a 'buy it now' price, I got mine as an auction item in October, and he delivered in December.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Living-Willow-Sculpture-Dome-Construction-Kit_W0QQitemZ230079771378QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42356QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He also does small withies which are very good value, I got some of those at the same time to go in the wild area to cut for making plant supports (well that's the plan...!)

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 19:25:52 »
looks well smart. Is the left side gonna be for beds or open plan digging?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 00:45:40 »
Open plan for this first year at least. I'm using the first three rows down from the greenhouse for raspberries, currants and apple cordons, then will use the next third for potatoes, and the bit currently under the carpet and muck heap for pumpkins and squashes.

The beds on the right give me a nice rotation system set up, but I wouldn't be able to plant as many potatoes in four beds as I would like come the next rotation, so I'm planning to use another bit of ground at the back of the shed as a spillover area, and the bit that is currently for squashes. Although the way I'm going, one plot just isn't going to be big enough.... :-\ ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 00:50:45 »
It never is. Once the bug bites its like a disease. Always leaves you wanting more..... :D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal