Author Topic: oh my god!  (Read 1936 times)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
oh my god!
« on: January 18, 2007, 19:23:01 »
hi all..........long time no post, but due to work and family matters ive not had a lot of time to spend at the lottie........nothing major done up there.but intend to make it crack this year!
started this week in finaly finishing the greenhouse i started building last year.........today was blowing a gale as i tried to tackle the roof........what a job.....needed three pairs of hands but managed to get quite a bit done.
whilst busy cracking on with the roof. i was so engrossed in the task, i failed to notice the rapidly rising river water that runs along the bottom of my plot.........only when i glanced towards the badly swaying trees did i notice the level of the water had risen about 5 foot...........and was  2 foot off bursting its banks..........which would then give me the mother of all ponds in my lottie.............being a coward .and realising that my car was parked on the lower part of the flood barrier about 100 meters away.i packed up my tools pretty quick and headed for the car!
its going to be a bit nerve racking tonight...........the plots have flooded before..........last time they were under 3 foot of water for about a month..
will be up there first light tommorow..........with the camera..........

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: oh my god!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 19:26:02 »
we've got a pond about 10" deep, on one of the paths next to our beds, we've had to raise them to about 18" at that part, just hope it doesn't get aany deeper !! :o :o

hope it dries up a bit for you  :)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 19:29:01 »
wouldnt mind...but weve not had that much rain here...must be pouring down towards sheffield.........lol

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 05:07:00 »
looks like the immediate threat is over.........river level seems to be holding steady now........but has made me rethink about the decking i had planned for the back of the lottie...........somewhere to sit in the summer and watch the river and world in general go by...............will still do this.................but will beef up the matereials used in construction....................did take some photos.but how do i attach them?

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:07:35 »
Sounds a lovely spot marestail side of the river. I've a mate lives at Balby not far away. Get some pictures posted

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 19:15:32 »
Guess you will never be short of water then.... ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal