Author Topic: Spicy Bean (and beef) Hot Pot  (Read 1536 times)

Yellow Petals

Spicy Bean (and beef) Hot Pot
« on: January 19, 2007, 14:59:56 »
I made this a couple of nights ago and it was delicious!  I added diced beef to mine as my working men need a bit of substance when they come home  ;D  It's extremely low fat and healthy - just 4.5g of fat per serving (of which only 0.5g is saturated)
280 calories per serving and 0 cholesterol!  ;D

By the way, because I added extra vegetable stock, I don't think this recipe came out as spicy or tangy as it was maybe meant to (which is fine by me because I don't actually eat spicy foods) so bear in mind, if you give it a go, that you might need to increase some other ingredients to compensate.  I also added a tin of butter beans  ;D

Ingredients (I'd say it could easily serve four)

225g/8oz Mushrooms
15ml/1 tblspoon Sunflower oil
2 Onions, diced
1 Garlic clove, crushed
15ml/1 tblspoon Red Wine Vinegar
400g/14oz chopped tomatoes (I used a tin, hehe)
15ml/1 tblspoon tomato puree
15ml/1 tblspoon Worcestershire sauce
15ml/1 tblspoon wholegrain mustard
15ml/1 tblspoon soft dark brown sugar
250ml/8 fl oz Vegetable stock (I actually doubled this because I didn't think 8 fl oz would be enough - turns out I was right!)
400g/14oz Kidney Beans, drained (again I used a tin)
400g/14oz haricot or cannellini beans (drain if buying a tin)
1 bay leaf
75g/3oz raisins
salt and black pepper
Chopped fresh Parsley to garnish

1.  Chop up mushrooms and set aside.

2.  Heat the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole, add the onions and garlic and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes until soft.

3.  Add the remaining ingredients except the mushrooms and seasoning.  Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.This is where I dropped in the diced beef and actually left the whole lot simmering for about 35-40 minutes instead

4.  Add the mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes more.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 15:07:57 by Yellow Petals »

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Spicy Bean (and beef) Hot Pot
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 15:07:51 »
That sounds a good recipe for my student veggie daughter, something nice and easy and filling.  I shall pass it on to her in it's original form.  In fact I could make 2 lots one with and one without meat would suit everyone in my house, mmmmm, thanks for that! :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 18:38:06 »
nice recipe, sounds like mine but we add chilli, just half a one and miss out the sugar 'cos of ray's diabetes, tastes yummy, 'specially this weather  ;D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:25:54 »
mouth's watering :)
i love store cupboard recipes  ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal