Author Topic: Greenhouse Night Storage 'Heater'?  (Read 1940 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Greenhouse Night Storage 'Heater'?
« on: January 22, 2007, 18:05:47 »
Have recently gotten around to insulating my greenhouse with bubble wrap, and so far this has worked well - with the addition of a heater it stayed nice and snug last night.

I was wondering though if there was anything else that could be done to retain heat inside a greenhouse. I then saw a letter in a gardening magazine about a reader who was using spare/leftover paving slabs in their greenhouse as a kind of 'Night Storage Heater'. The theory being that the slabs absorbed heat from the heater (in this case an electric one), then radiated it back into the greenhouse when it was needed.

I decided to try this out. I didnt have any slabs but had a few breeze blocks hanging around in the garden, which i put inside the greenhouse, underneath the staging and where ever else ther was space.

I have no idea whether this will work, or even how to tell if it does work , but i reckon anything is worth a try considering the way the weather is going.

So has anyone else heard of this or maybe even tried it out? I'd be interested to hear if this has worked for anyone. Thanks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouse Night Storage 'Heater'?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 18:15:25 »
Well, a similar idea, I have heard that people keep large containers of water in the g/house which again, warms up during the day and gently cools through the night.  I can't see why it wouldn't work Richard - anything that absorbs heat during the day and from a heater will slowely let it out again.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Greenhouse Night Storage 'Heater'?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 20:40:49 »
And paint them black??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal