Author Topic: Allotment progress...September; where to start?  (Read 1977 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Allotment progress...September; where to start?
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:52:16 »
First things first; compost bins!
Made from free pallets, painted with preservative and stain by kids.....
Note the two baths that were completely filled with couch and 'compost' a.k.a bindweed...took two days to empty and sieve through usable stuff!

I cut back and cleared the long grass from around the greenhouse and old compost bin. Found a path, loads of rolled up chicken wire, and a well!

Next; demolish the old shed I'm afraid. Took me and 10yr old son about half an hour! Lots of woodworm infested timber though, so hopes of using some of it went on a bonfire. Tarpaulin useful though! Behind it we found a little air raid shelter, very useful for storing the wire mesh and old cloches we found buried in the couch! Under the old shed....about 20 smashed panes of glass!

Looking at the right side now, I decided to use Amcide on the couch, it was so bad. Let it work and then dig out all the roots; easier said than done!

Left side; dug over and removed all the couch from the nearest area, started preparing to move various flowers, rosemary bushes and rhubarb. There were a couple of currant bushes at the back, a bit poorly looking, all overgrown with the dreaded couch. The metal supports holding up a piece of wood that I had hopes of using to drape nets over a soft fruit area were completely rusted through, big holes in them! Underneath were a row of autumn fruiting raspberries. Right at the back, loads of plum tree suckers, one very prolific pear tree, and a small overgrown apple. I started to remove some of the plum suckers to give the apple a chance!

More to follow... ;D

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Allotment progress...September; where to start?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:47:37 »
wow, all that free fruit  ;D ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 14:14:21 »
Yes, I was lucky with that, but it was all quite neglected and needed TLC! Plus it was all really over grown with couch, I had loads of fun patiently pulling it all out from between the roots of the bushes without distrubing them too much, pruned after leaf fall then mulched really well with mushroom compost. Hopefully it will do well this year, I have no idea how well stuff has done in the past except for the pear tree, which was loaded!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 14:37:18 »
Very impressive compost bin :)!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal