Author Topic: Abyssinian cats  (Read 3834 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Abyssinian cats
« on: January 19, 2007, 08:20:05 »
Abyssinian  cats if you had 2 of these cats would you let them outside? What are the chances of them being stolen, someone I know is in a real dilemma about this, she wants to but her OH says they'll get nicked.  Your opinions would be very welcome thanks Val.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Abyssinian cats
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:34:16 »
Ours was only a moggie but a real throw back and looked just like an abyssinian, and we think he was stolen, as several cats went missing from the village at the same time.  he was so cute and only looked like a kitten.  I can understand your friends' dilemma.  His brother who is black is still here.  We tried everything to find him, posters, rang all the vets, rescue societies etc.  We just hope the person who has him now loves him too.

Not sure I am much help really Val!

Hope you are well, haven't seen you on here for ages. :(

T.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:41:55 »
Thanks Tulippa, I look in most days but don't always post, things have  changed, not many of the oldies left and even Glyn and his jokes have gone, ;D Its good the site is still vibrant and alive though. Its terrible all this pet stealing going on, I'd rather they stole my money than take the pets, they are family.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 13:08:32 »
I wouldn't let them out - it's sad for the cats, but I really think that they would get taken as they look so beautiful. We had a black cat, Jack, who was 1/2 Siamese and I caught a lady trying to get him into her car. It was only that I happened to come back from the shops at that moment that I caught her. Otherwise he would have been gone as he was so friendly and trusting. Her argument was that he looked like a cat she used to have and she thought he was a stray - he was wearing a very flashy blue collar at the time and I had more than a few choice words to say to her!

It's fine if your cat doesn't go to strangers but if they do it's easy for some-one to take them. My neighbours have 2 very exotic looking cats, I think one of them is a Havana, and they only let them out on a harness and lead in the garden.

It's heartbreaking when an animal disappears without trace. You imagine all sorts of terrible things. Jack got run over and killed when we moved to our new house - ironic, as the road is actually less busy - & we didn't know for 2 weeks. A really kind lady found his body and took it to our local vet to be scanned for a microchip. They then rang us so at least in the end we knew what had happened to him.

Tabby
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 13:10:11 by tabbycat »

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 14:52:39 »
thanks TC, I didn't realise it was so much a problem with cats, seems there are some wicked folk out there. I will pass your messages on. Thanks for the advice.

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 18:35:00 »
I have five cats that are all house cats now.  Our original two cats both got killed on the road within months of each other and I couldn't bear to go through all that again.  Our cats are all very happy and not at all bothered about going out, they have the run of the house and although some people would say it's not right to keep the cats indoors, they are such happy and affectionate cats that I am sure they do not miss the outdoors at all.  In fact my siamese boy absolutely howls with distress if I take him on to the patio.  I would tell your friend that cats can be happy indoors, especially if they have the company of another feline friend.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 08:34:33 »
I did wonder if they would be happy indoors but it seems they will so thanks . I'll pass the messages on.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 22:40:12 »
Hi Val, we only have one cat, a gorgeous tabby heinz 57 variety bless her but we love her!  I'd say to your friend to keep them in, better to be safe than sorry, and as long as they keep a tray of cat grass by the food then they'll be fine indoors x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:31:19 »
Thanks Kitten, I'm a dog person myself so I don't know much about cats, although we used to have them when I was young, many ,many years ago ;D

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 10:13:26 »
hi Val
my mog is an indoors mog too. I do think cats should go out, but we've never lived anywhere with a secure garden (I know, I know, no garden is secure to a really determined cat!) so she's never been out. I think it's better to make the decision and stick to it than to let a cat go out then stop it for some reason. my mog seems perfectly happy, we play with her lots so she gets plenty of exercise. and I know I'm ging to sound like a mad cat lady but every morning before I leave for work I hide her biscuits around the house so that she has to hunt for them rather than just stuffing her face in one go! I've also spoken to vets about it and they say that as long as they don't get overweight, and you can buy specially formulated indoor cat food now, that indoors cats may live a little longer, and obviously avoid injury from cars and fights with other cats. but do keep them vaccinated as some germs can be carried inside on your shoes. I've seen quite a few "missing" posters around recently too – so sad :(

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 13:27:06 »
I think its kinder to stick to the decision too, its not as if you can explain to them. Good idea about the hiding seek, it keeps them amused and busy, as long as its not kippers or something and you forget where you've put them. ;D
The posters seem to be getting younger, oh dear thats a sure sign I'm not,along with teachers and policemen, its when they start looking like your grandson or daughter, thats the real bombshell. ;)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 21:43:45 »
I think it depends if they are happy to be indoors cats or not. We have a Russian Blue who was happy for his first year to live indoors, but who now insists he be allowed out.

We have had a problem with theft (with one of our neighbours) but on balance think it's in his best interests to be allowed to roam.  I can see him outside now. He's sat at the end of the garden on the wall, surveying his territory  ::)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 08:31:07 »
There's so many different ideas about it, sometimes it where you live, near a main road , others if its a bad area for pet theft. I wouldn't ever leave our dogs on their own in a car or anything. The youngest would certainly be pinched, we watch them like hawks but its different with cats, it also depends on their personality too, there's a few cats I wouldn't dare go near, did you see the news clip about the postman who refused to deliver the post because the cat was so difficult? ;D

plot73

• Not So New ...
  • Just sniffin' around
    • http://plot73.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 20:57:17 »
I have a Somali, which is supposed to be related to the Aby and she goes out. I think she'd go batty if she couldn't get out and about. Probably not much help, sorry!
Stuck at my desk, wishing I was outside

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

http://plot73.blogspot.com/

http://www.pendragon-it.com

sarah2210

• Not So New ...
    • Easy Aromatherapy
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 13:13:19 »
I have a Somali, which is supposed to be related to the Aby and she goes out. I think she'd go batty if she couldn't get out and about. Probably not much help, sorry!

Just to add to this (Plot73 is my husband) our other 2 cats (one tabby, one tortie) also go out although the tabby rarely wanders out of the garden. We couldn't keep any of the 3 cats in anyway as the tortie can open the kitchen window and let herself out!!

Sarah

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal