Author Topic: greenhouse woe  (Read 4891 times)

bill22

• Not So New ...
greenhouse woe
« on: January 18, 2007, 21:42:16 »
After clisinfecting the greenhouse yesterday I left unknowingly the louvre window slightly ajar.

While the wind was howling today I heard a crash.

Looking outside I saw that the wind had ripped off the door of the greenhouse shattering the three panes of glass.

The side of the house with the lourve window is completely exposed to the south west.

Silly Billy :-[

jo9919

Re: greenhouse woe
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 22:27:59 »
Awful weather we're having Bill.

I'm three panes down in my greenhouse today  :(

At least mine haven't broken so just a matter of reglazing now.

Jo.

bill22

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 23:08:18 »
Hi Jo

Just a silly mistake on my part as we get the wind in spades where I am.

Right on the  s e coast.

The wind comes right up the channel, the first thing it hits higher than a gorse bush is my greenhouse.

Luckily, when I got the house it came with 8 spare panes.

Its good yours didn't break :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:39:09 »
I find it amazing that when two panes "flew" across the garden that one was shattered and the other one hasn't even got a crack in it :o

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 09:00:42 »
I'm thinking of replacing my lost 3 panes with poly glass, as this now seems to be an annual exercise.
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:35:23 »
we were lucky, our home greenhouse was o.k, but the one at the plot, communal one, has lots of damage, everyone is going tomorrow to fix it up   ;D

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:26:37 »
Communal one hows that work? Greenhouse is ok this morning but our shed been uprooted off its base its about knackered anyway so it might have done me a favour. Bring on the snow now.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 13:35:39 »
the communal greenhouse is 30' long, there are only 8 of us at the moment, two already have their own greenhouses, so space is divided up between however many people want it, no probs so far  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 14:01:39 »
Home greenhouse;luckily has toughened glass, the WHOLE THING was lifted off its base and moved a foot to the right, the door panes fell out but luckily didn't break, and some of one sides panels did the same. How on earth we are going to move it back without dismantling the whole thing I don't know. OH swears he bolted it firmly to the base!

Lottie; oh dear. I only completed the glazing of the little greenhouse two weeks ago; it now has about 13 panes smashed! :'( It looks as if the whole thing was rattled so hard, all the back panes shook loose and hit the railing behind it. One roof pane obviously took flight and smashed on the slabs right where I sit outside the shed! Lucky escape!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 16:20:02 »
Sorry to hear that Deb... went round last night but it was afterdark and it looked OK from the main avenue!
 :(

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 17:00:41 »
Went down to have a look today, found I had lost some glass on a couple of greenhouses, made some temporary repairs.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 19:01:19 »
only lost one pane so far /shades x
grow your own way

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 19:10:24 »
I don't have a greenhouse yet, may be a good job as I went to the plot today and the ones either side of me are just a tangle of metal and smashed glass.

"Right offs" two new greenhouses required.

A few others have lost glass and a Poly cover gone.

Gary

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 16:42:05 »
Have just spent the last couple of hours with OH moving our home greenhouse back onto its base after it jumped a couple of feet to the right in all the gales. Apparently, the base is securely fixed to the concrete, but the greenhouse was just sitting on the base....... ::) :-[

Goodness knows how it moved though, it was amazingly heavy even with the glass mostly removed. We mananged to manouver it back onto the base after releasing the front rail which had buckled, spilling the doors and front glass but amazingly not breaking any toughened glass. Just all the glass to put back tomorrow now...... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 21:22:27 »
Was at the plot this afternoon an one of the plot owners next to me who lost their greenhouse is thinking that that was the last straw. Shame really as he has worked really hard to get his plot up and running.

Saying that he has also lost half his shed as the roof had blown off also!

Not the best pics in the world but here are photos' of one of them. Not sure that the people on the other side yet know so no photo yet as it has only been up a week.

http://plot27.blog.co.uk/

Gary
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 22:06:04 by gary »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 09:37:24 »
Your plot pics almost make up for the other!

In1987, our 30X12 (sloping sides thank God) had its western (door) end stove in by about a foot. We had to achor it overnight with hawsers tied to stakes. It had slid on its foundations.

Next day, No2 Son & I lay on our backs & pushed the end back.

It is now pinned to the foundation as, perhaps, it should have been?

Nothing broke!!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:43:00 by tim »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 19:16:42 »
Am now very fed up. :(

Spend my day off feeling very sorry for myself. Full of grotty cold caught from my kids, went to the allotment to put in the replacement 13 panes of glass the gales claimed, and just could NOT get the last one in!

#@**"! It's the roof skylight, it's obviously buckled a bit since it was damaged in the gales, I tried removing the bottom rail to get the glass in properly, but I just couldn't get it square enough to sit correctly so I could close it. The sun was directly in my eyes as I struggled with the bloomin' thing, my nose was running so badly I had to stick tissues up my nostrils so my hands were free, and to add insult to injury I skinned my knuckles in the fray......... >:( >:( >:(

AND the ground was frozen so I couldn't plant my new raspberry canes...hrrrump! :'(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 12:21:02 »
Oh dear Deb. Not a good day for you. How are things today or are you snowed in? Hope your cold soon gets better.
Lorna.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 12:46:43 »
I'm miserable at home.  :( Got up to go to work at 5.20 this morning, felt so grotty, phoned work, took painkillers and slunk back to bed!

School have just rung to say my teenage daughter is coming home unwell....we will be the house of the poorly soon I fear.......

Still, I can stay in bed and do some veggy planning, so not a total loss of a day! Snow is about 3" deep now, still snowing lightly.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 20:26:54 »
I'm thinking of replacing my lost 3 panes with poly glass, as this now seems to be an annual exercise.

I have a theory about using polyglass or other lightweight 'glass'. There is an enormous weight of 'proper' glass in a greenhouse, which must surely have some bearing on the structure staying put in high winds. I get a mental picture of a complete poly-glazed greenhouse sailing by at low altitude.
It's only a theory though.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal