Author Topic: Rosehips  (Read 1877 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Rosehips
« on: January 18, 2007, 18:53:45 »
I understand that Rosehips in the form of tablets from the health food shops, is good for joint pain. I have seen what I think are Rosehips growing on very leggy roses. Would these be the ones to use or are there a few things that look like them? Could I make it into a syrup? Anyone know how to do it? ???

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Rosehips
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 20:13:12 »
You might get more response if you put this one in recipes, Cacran.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:27:01 »
Thanks Kenkew.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 11:53:40 »
A picture of rosehips can be found here a google search will reveal plenty more images.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plantprofile_rosehip.shtml

Rosehip Syrup recipe

For 2 pounds (900gm) of hips.

Method
Boil 3 pints (1.7 litres) of boiling water.

Mince hips in a course mincer (or food processor) and put immediately into the boiling water.

Bring to boil and then place aside for 15 minutes.

Pour into a jelly bag and allow to drip until the bulk of the liquid has come through.

Return the residue to the saucepan, add 11/2 pints (852ml) of boiling water, stir and allow to stand for 10 minutes.

Pour back into the jelly bag and allow to drip.

To make sure all the sharp hairs are removed put back the first half cupful of liquid and allow to drip through again.

Put the mixed juice into a clean saucepan and boil down until the juice measures about 11/2 pints (852ml), then add 11/4 (560gm) of sugar and boil for a further 5 minutes.
Pour into hot sterile bottles and seal at once.

If corks are used these should be boiled or sterilised with either homebrew or milton type sterilisers first.

It is advisable to use small bottles as the syrup will not keep for more than a week or two once the bottle is opened if stored in a dark cupboard. Or maybe four weeks in the fridge.

Unopened bottles are best stored in a dark cupboard.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 18:06:55 »
Thanks for the recipe and link.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal