Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 6875 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
asparagus
« on: April 27, 2004, 17:19:22 »
- not 'specially early, but jolly nice! = Tim

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 18:30:25 »
Oh yum! We have bought some ( :'() and are having it steamed tonight ;D Also had some raw in a asparagus, mushroom and parmesan salad at the weekend. Think that is one of my favorite ways to eat it :D DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 19:15:45 »
Agree! = Tim

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 22:58:56 »
Yummy!

Although I am extremely biased and still think the asparagus from the Vale of Evesham is the best in the world, here in Kent in the village where I live, we get it cut, delivered and we buy it from local pub on same day.  Had some last week, just steamed with butter - was gorgeous.

In Worcestershire, all the local pubs served Ham & Grass - Ham from the bone, new jersey royals and local asparagrass - wonderful!  :D :D :D
Muddy Boots

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 15:43:40 »
MB, that sounds like my idea of culinary heaven!  :P :P :P

(Moggle has a rethink on this evening's dinner  ;D)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 17:50:48 »
Around Welford, it used to be 1/6d for a 10" double bundle, bound with split cane. But, once again, the quality of the butter is all important? = Tim

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 18:28:27 »
We pay £5 for a big bundle fresh from the farm in Kent.....can't wait to be able to get over there to get some ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 19:33:55 »
Better than £2.50 for 10 spears from Peru?? = Tim

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 13:40:26 »
I should say so! ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 11:51:08 »
Wahey!

Went to a pick your own place up the road from my work and went last night.

Came back with 3 kilos of it, for £10 (£3.50 per kilo). Gave about a kilo to the mother in law, and another kilo to the grandfather in law who reccomended the place.

Picked out the nice fine skinny ones for my entree last night and had it steamed and topped with butter, salt and black pepper. Yum  ;D ;D ;D

Best of all, have loads left for the rest of the week. (What's the best way to store it?)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 11:56:05 »
We cut a bit off the bottom & put it in a deep jug with 1/2 water. Change it often. Never the same as 'that day' stuff - but, at that price, who's being proud?? = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 12:51:47 »
Cor, well impressed!  Wish we had a pick your own asparagus round these parts.  Soft fruit in abundance but never seen asparagus.  

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 13:47:38 »
That is really cheap Moggle! Lucky you ;D Our is £5.50 per kilo, (50p more than last year!) but we think it is worth every penny :D Store mine the same as Tim.  We had ours exactly the same way as you last night....smelly pee all round :o

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 14:00:01 »
May I humbly suggest that when preparing asparagus for cooking, instead of cutting stems, you gently bend it until it breaks.  This way you find the natural break without losing any of the best part and avoiding any tough bits  :D

Moggle, store in veggie part of fridge and believe you can freeze it but best way is to eat asap  ;D
Muddy Boots

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 14:59:11 »
EJ, I put 'pick your own asparagus essex' in to a web search out of interest, and there were plenty of web sites there, but have no idea how far away from you they'd be.

Muddy, we did the snapping bit while picking, no knives necessary. Twas great fun running around snapping. I was like a kid in a sweet shop  :) There's a lot of big fat spears, bigger than what you see in the supermarket, but it still tastes darn good!

Thanks Tim and Doris for storage advice, now just have to find a jug big enough to hold the kilo or so of the stuff that I have left.  ;D

Well it will probably be a lot less than that after tonight  :P :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 15:55:13 »
Thought of that after I wrote the last note - picking your own @xp/lb, you obviously only pick the tender bit above ground - & that's even better value!!

Deep, or tall jug? - so that the stuff stays straight. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 12:48:36 »
Inspired by your talk of fresh local asparagus, I nipped into the farm shop this morning on the way home from the school run and bought 8 spears for my lunch, which I have just thoroughly enjoyed lightly cooked and covered in butter.  6.50 per kilo I think was the price there, so I didn't think that was too bad (plus I got 6 ducks eggs and 2 punnets of english strabs all for 2.50!)  Did a search Moggle and there are a couple of PYO around, not right on our doorstep, but not too far afield either.  May well be checking them out very soon!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 12:51:07 by EJ - Emma Jane »

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 20:44:33 »
have just enjoyed some for supper-and Muddy Boots is correct-it does have a `snap` point- one lives and learns :)

Stephan.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2004, 18:02:14 »
Use the tough bit as a handle.

But to the point - why does some try to get back home? Even burying itself in the soil. = Tim
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 18:03:19 by tim »

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 20:23:11 »
Something will have caused the cells on the inside of the curve to die,Tim. It could be either rubbing against a stone, or other similar hard object, or the tissue came into contact with a salt or other dessicating substance. Another alternative is that something has beaten you to lunch- asparagus beetle for instance. If the crown produces nothing but curled shoots then it would probably be genetic.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal