Author Topic: Lady Godiva squash seeds - what do they look like?  (Read 6105 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Lady Godiva squash seeds - what do they look like?
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:49:46 »
Hi all

I've been sent some seeds of 'Lady Godiva' squash to try from a seed swap, but I'm a little confused as to their appearance.  I'd read that 'Lady Godiva' produces huskless seeds so I was expecting some green seeds or something similar to the pumpkin seeds you can buy. However, what I've been sent are white and look very much like my other squash seeds i.e. with a husk! 

Can anyone confirm what the seeds should look like of this variety.  I really want to grow the variety this year, but I don't want to risk finding out too late that what I have isn't 'Lady godiva'!

Many thanks

SP xx

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Lady Godiva squash seeds - what do they look like?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:45:55 »
Do they look like the ones in this article?
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/MV/MV11700.pdf

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 11:51:48 »
Thanks SS.  They kind of do look a little like that, although the description of 'Lady Godiva' describes the seed as green in colour, and the ones I have are not green.  Maybe I'll try cutting one in half, that should show whether it has a seed coat or not I guess. 

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:26:14 »
Oh that sounds like a good idea too. Mm, it says some sinister things about 'maternal membrane' covering the skin, but I'd expect it to be thin or papery. Perhaps the seeds are green when fresh? I think Curry grew Lady Godiva one year?

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 13:23:10 »
Thanks, if I'm still unsure after cutting one open, I'll PM Curry to check. 

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 15:46:57 »
Try Jenny M, I don't think Curry grew them because the flavour is supposed to be almondy.  I believe Jen did though. 

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:56:37 »
I cut a seed open last night and it does appear to have a husk, so I have no idea what variety it is but I don't think they're 'lady godiva'.  I've now included them in my seed choice from the HSL.

SP xx

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:23:54 »
Try Jenny M, ...

Yes - wow what a memory EJ, I did grow them! Unfortunately, can't remember what the seeds looked like, but I do know I didnt get fantastic germination rates - only one plant out of a whole packet but that was a good one  ;D heres a pic which shows a fruit from it - it's the large orangey one on the back right hand side.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:25:36 »
wow jenny, beautiful pic :o :D
what are the bluey ones front/right - are they crown prince by any chance? ::)

sorry veered off topic :-[

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 11:49:21 »
Try Jenny M, I don't think Curry grew them because the flavour is supposed to be almondy.  I believe Jen did though. 

Well remembered EJ !!!
It was my original intention to grow some, as I was intrigued first by the name, since Lady Godiva is associated with my home town, and also because they are 'naked' seeds, but then discovered their supposed flavour, and abandoned the idea - such is life :)

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 12:01:02 »
Yes, crown prince for certain! a must have ingredient in one of my best selling chutneys  ;D
Saw the effects of cross pollination this year, some seeds were fresh and some saved. Some fruits had a dark, rich orange coloured flesh, as expected, but some that I've just cut up have ripened to a pale apricot colour and have an light yellow flesh with a distinct cucumbery smell. Will use fresh seed this year as I do want the orange colour to the flesh. Or maybe it's just the ripening that's changed them?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 12:11:14 »
Crown Prince is the most delicious squash I have tasted to date ... still trying to expand my taste experiences ...

Derek :)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 12:28:30 »
Thanks JennyM

Yes it is a fab photo.  I've read that because the seed is naked it can be tricky getting them to germinate before they rot!  So I'm going to experiment with them when I get them and fingers crossed I will have success.
I'm intrigued with the crown prince, might have to try and get hold of a couple of seeds to try this year.  I've found that I have a slight addiction to growing squashes and beans!  So many varieties to choose from.

SP xx

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 14:37:25 »
maybe it's just the ripening that's changed them?

This year we've noticed how ripening squash definitely affects flavour (and skin colour). Skins are gradually changing from greenish to orangeish, the blues are staying blue. W're gradually eating our way through the stored squash. Buttercup, Berettina and CP definitely improved in flavour. Poor Will made soup out of the pumpkin and then declared it inedible (it was going soft and the seeds were sprouting). For that reason I'm going to grow more of the squash that improve in flavour as they store. But you can't taste the fresh against the stored to be sure, can you ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 17:39:59 »
Have you eaten the seeds from your Lady Jen?  I want to grow them this year as I love pumpkin seeds but can't be doing with the faffing around dehusking them.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 18:41:07 »
When I cooked and ate my pumpkin seeds (hundredweight), I ate husks and all, didn't really know any better, but they seemed ok ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 20:19:07 »
Were they not a bit tough and chewy Derek?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 20:54:01 »
Not tough, a bit fibrousy (is that a word?), but tasty enough. They were appreciated both by me, and also my daughter, so I did plenty (one pumpkin gave us a large cereal bowl full. They were all consumed before the end of the evening ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal