Author Topic: talking of paeonies....  (Read 2191 times)

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
talking of paeonies....
« on: April 27, 2004, 15:09:40 »
A house that I'm working on at the moment is being completely renovated, gardens and all.  The front garden must have a dozen paeonies with large buds not long off flowering. (in Marine Ave for the Whitley locals)  I'm sure I can skank these from the Project Manager - but will they move well?  I've been told they can sulk for a while - I don't mind waiting a few years as they are so lovely - but is there a 'best' way of going about moving them?

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:talking of paeonies....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 15:55:04 »
I'm no expert but I do have an herbaceous paeonie (white/very pale pink flushings) in my allotment which has been moved about three times in it's 5/6 year life and split once into 3, one of which I gave away and now have the other two parts myself and they are thriving.  I do know that they are not supposed to like being moved but this one has survived and thrived.

Of course what you may be talking about are tree paeonies which grow bigger and have different foliage (dark green if I remember while mine is bronzey and more spikey).  

I would certainly think it's worth while taking them as they are gorgeous when in flower.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 15:55:46 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 16:16:05 »
What the heck Ceri.  Speaking as one of the world's most intrepid plant movers ::), at anytime of the year, happily with very few losses :D,  you've got nothing to lose.  They need a good home, give em a go!

Best of luck  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 16:17:36 by Muddy_Boots »
Muddy Boots

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 16:51:27 »
Just make sure that you don't plant them too deep. ;)  This is the usual reason for non flowering, not, as some people think, that they dont like being moved.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 18:19:48 »
Tree peonies have as you would expect a wood stem, whereas herbaceous ones have a soft stem emerging from a 'bulb-like' rootstock. As Mimi   says planting herbaceous ones too deeply is the main cause of non-flowering (the buds need cold to ripen them and initiate flower production). If they are tree peonies then moving them is the sameas moving any shrub during its growth period. Which ever kind they are,Water well before and take as much root and soil  as you can.  Keep them out of the ground for as short a period as possible and fill the new hole with water before planting and water well afterwards. I would remove the buds if you do this before they flower, they will probably not survive to open way. Keep shaded from very strong sun (hah) for a few weeks and watch the watering. Spray the foliage if we get very dry windy  conditions.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 18:43:59 »
thank you all - I'll swim over with a sweet smile and a spade tomorrow - don't think I'll need to worry about watering the planting hole too much after the last 24 hours!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal