Author Topic: grass re-growth  (Read 1656 times)

Rain

• Quarter Acre
grass re-growth
« on: January 29, 2007, 23:19:41 »
Hello,

I have dug in the autumn and removed grass covering an area. Now it's growing back, not in clumps but as thin, single, spear-like grass. What's the best thing to do while it's not established as clumps? Can I just dig it back in? Trying to weed this would be very difficult, I'd probably have to wait until it had clumped to have something to pull up. Each blade of grass is probably 2 inches tall, if I dig it back in will it weaken or strengthen it, and is this a good thing to do?

Thanks.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: grass re-growth
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 23:28:26 »
Covering the area would be easier than re-digging. But digging it in will kill it off too, anything that stops the light getting to the leaves will be good.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 23:32:48 »
if you dont have plastic and dont want to dig - scrounge some large cardboard boxes to lay over the ground to cover it. Weigh them down & leave them till you are ready to use the ground. When you lift, you can compost the cardboard.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 23:37:24 »
If you enjoy digging, dig again 8)
A thin covering of these blades of grass is very common at this time of year, and I think very demoralising for all that hard work put in.

As an alternative to digging again, when you've dug over an area of soil, cover it immediately - 8" of straw is my recipe, but others suggest cardboard (like kaytee), manure, leaves, or whatever they can easily find/transport. A good thick covering of mulch will prevent annual seeds from re-seeding (digging will have brought a lot to the surface) and prevents 'grassy bits' growing in the light. You could do this now, and kill those early grass spears.

When it's time to plant or sow, scooch the material away from the area you're sowing (or cut holes/slits in cardboard and plant through them). You'll be surprised to find a lovely fine tilth under the mulch, where the worms have been busy, perfect for sowing. When the veggie plants have come up, scooch the mulch back towards them so you have a mulched area with your sprouts showing through, and no bare soil to encourage weeds. You may get the odd perennial weed making it through the mulch, but few will, if it's thick enough, and you can pull them out easily by hand ;D

Rain

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 00:06:41 »
Didn't expect so many replies so quickly, thanks, the tips are appreciated!

Just one thing, I know that couch grass roots multiply if you dig them in (and cut them), does this not apply to these small blades? Thanks.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:44:18 »
Yes. Cut in two, and two couch grass sprout. Ad infinitum.
The permanent remedy for couch grass is to remove every root by hand, burn, poison or smother. I go with smothering :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:31 »
Ah the dreaded couch grass. I'm still digging mine out bit by bit, trying to do it really thoroughly, not much regrowth on the cleared bits....yet! Whichever method you choose to use, keep at it, or it will return with a vengeance...... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 15:21:20 »
A quick turn over and cover should serfice. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 16:10:47 »
I would use a glyphosate weedkiller, depends if you are anti chemicals or not

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 16:28:38 »
Just one thing, I know that couch grass roots multiply if you dig them in (and cut them), does this not apply to these small blades? Thanks.

No it doesn't apply to every type of grass thank god  :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 16:37:17 »
and theres me praying for my grass to grow!

I sowed seed in autumn for the chooks and i refuse to build another pen until the grass has grown and wont be killed off too quickly.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal