Author Topic: pigeons  (Read 2499 times)

rosemarykaye

• I love Allotments 4 All
pigeons
« on: September 06, 2003, 12:49:11 »
Hello - finally picked up the hints on BBCi and looked up this site.

I know I have asked this question before, but am still looking for help.  Whenever we put food on our bird table, it is mobbed by pigeons.  They are really aggressive, bang their wings, frighten the other birds off, then sit on top of the table roof all day waiting for the next meal.  They also sit on the house roof, looking at me menacingly whenever I go out - it's like The Birds!

I know pigeons have to eat, but we would like to attract other birds, especially ones that like greenfly, etc.  At the moment I am only using hanging seed and nut feeders, also fatballs, and the pigeons can't manage these.  Someone did tell me that there are bird tables designed to keep pigeons off, but I haven't found one anywhere - has anyone else?

Any advice much appreciated.

Incidentally, I feed the birds all year, I believe this is the RSPB's recommendation.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: pigeons
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 14:45:47 »
Hi I have three types of bird feeders,

One the hanging kind in the trees for small birds
one bird table with roof
and the most used is my old patio table with a large 18'' plastic saucer on it this has been for the pidgons doves black birds starlings and squirrels.
Saying that the smaller birds like it to they can see all around.
Its taken a couple of years and the pidgons have understood there is food for all and no fighting except whenanother pidgon comes down there is the odd stand of.
Best laugh was when a group of baby starling landed when the pidgon what there what a noise they make and I always do bread in water for them they love it.
But they were fighting and one went flying into the pidgon he looked sooo shocked did not know what hit him.
So the best bird feeding station I have is the old patio table and a large broken plastic saucer the other dish for bread is my old dogs tin feed bowl.
Hope this helps
Ps the squirrels do no damage in my garden and neighbroughs have reported the same since we moved in and feed all. Strange but true
Teresa
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal