Author Topic: My Keter Greenhouse  (Read 12076 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
My Keter Greenhouse
« on: January 15, 2007, 16:42:17 »
Does anyone remember me having a new greenhouse in August/Sept time. Ive put a pic of it on here again. I was really chuffed with it when Tony had at last put it together. The problem came when it rained, Although Tony had sealed it , everytime it rained it leaked. We have been trying to chase the leaks all over the winter without success. Today I decided something had to be done so I e-mailed the company. They phoned us this afternoon and guess what?????/ We are getting a full refund. Tony asked when they would be coming to get the greenhouse and he said they didn't want it. I never expected that. My faith in humankind is restored.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: My Keter Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 17:55:20 »
Your greenhouse looks mighty fine and I bet even better not costing a penny.

Just had to say I remember using one of those baskets as a school bag many years ago haha when everyone had one.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:12:22 »
That basket is an original not a repro from the 70's. It was me moms. I like it cos you can see whats in it
                             I want em saying

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 13:41:23 »
Shirl - where did you buy your Keter GH? Gordon bought one 18 months ago and has had the same problem from day one. I think he bought his online, but am not sure. I've Googled but come up with nothing significant.

Tricia

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 14:44:03 »
Hi Trisha, We got ours from B&Q
                             I want em saying

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 18:42:06 »
We were recently offered one of these secondhand, but these stories about water leaks have put us off a bit.   The asking price was £225 - may I ask how that compares with the new price?

I guess that dismantling it and re-assembling it won't make it any more watertight, either!  :o

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 19:24:37 »
It depends how you re-assemble it. I would bed the sheets in with bitumen mastic (the cartridge type used for sealing gutters). It takes a long time to harden and when it does it STICKS, being bitumen it doesn't allow moisture creep. You do have to thoroughly clean the surfaces first though. Price-wise, it doesn't seem too bad, but you might be able to get a bit off if you tell them that those greenhouses have got a bad reputation for leaking.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 22:21:15 »
Wow, Shirlton, that makes your greenhouse even more of a bargain than mine.  :)

My greenhouse leaks a little but I thought that might be a good thing - keep the humidity up & also shows that some air is getting in.  I'm glad you got a refund but does it really matter if it leaks?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:48:44 »
 Only having got the greenhouse last autumn we haven't grown anything in it yet, just used it as a store. One or two leaks wouldn't have mattered, In fact I have one or two in my greenhouse at home. These leaks are all over the greenhouse. I grown stuff in my greenhouse because I want to control the watering. Too much damp causes mildew. In my opinion it wasn't suitable for the purpose I bought it for.
                             I want em saying

AndyT

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 09:56:40 »
I bought one these from B&Q a few weeks ago. It was reduced to £50 so I couldn't resist. Yours looks good, I hope mine looks as good when I've built it. I really don't mind if it leaks a bit.
I haven't dared build it yet in case it gets blown away.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 13:00:52 »
For £50 quid you can't really grumble. I would advise that you seal it at every joint. Thats what we are gonna do. You don't really want it raining in on any small seedlings do you. I wish you luck putting it up. The wind hasn't blown ours away (That was before todays gales) The only thing is that it waffles quite  a bit in the breeze. Think of it as music to the ears(for £50 quid anyway)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 13:02:55 by shirlton »
                             I want em saying

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 16:23:52 »
No need to worry about me greenhouse it blew away today. Went up to the plot and there it was all mangled up in the corner. Best place for it. We just pegged it down to stop it going on anyone elses plot. Will break it up when the weather improves.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 16:26:09 by shirlton »
                             I want em saying

AndyT

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 17:05:24 »
Sorry to hear about your greenhouse. I'm really glad we went for a walk last sunday instead of building my greenhouse.
The chap on the next plot to me has had his new shed flattened and someone else had the windows blown out of theirs. I think there may be a few people with damaged sheds and greenhouses today.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 17:39:52 »
Sorry too about your greenhouse - what is it made of?.  I have just been to inspect mine & two panes are out but cos they are toughened glass they don't seem to be damaged but it was nearly dark so I couldn't hunt for the clips.  Unfortunately they fell on my Japanese onions which I think have had it.  :'(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 18:46:38 »
Sorry to hear that Shirley. SO FAR I have only lost 2 panes of glass but wind is still very strong so will see what morning brings.

belgiangirl

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 19:01:09 »
Hi,

I had a very similar problem with an identical Keter greenhouse. I bought it this summer and we put it toghether this september. From the first time it rained it was soaking wet in there. She hardly got dry again no matter how sunny it was and how long the little window was open. :-\ On december 30th we were watching BBC gardener of the year and missed the second half of the show because I had to go chasing my Keter that was hanging in our fence two metres from its original locatione. 'dressed in PJs in the pouring rain' there are a lot of nicer things to do on a friday evening.
The story of my keter came to an end yesterday. She crumbled open due to heavy winds and the only thing left is the bottom frame, the little door thingy, a big pile of poly we rescued from the garden of our neighbour (luckily nobody lives there yet) and a shattered dream. :-[
I called the number that was marked on the instruction manual. Had to call to holland, to hear the guy responsible for this type of greenhouse already left for the day. I hope I get some good news from him on monday.
His assistent gave me good hope that they will ship every broken piece to my house. ' there's nothing left of it' I'll be getting a huge packet...

Greetings from belgium and good luck to all the (ex) Keter greenhouse owners

Melanie

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 15:53:14 »
We only got ours late last summer. It's a shame cos they look so nice when they are erected. We went to look at one in the garden centre last week after ours blew away and the fastenings  that held the top half to the bottom frame was much stronger. We asked who had erected the one in the centre and they said Keter do it themselves. I'm sure that if we had been given the strong fastenings ours wouldn't have blown away, but then it still leaked which was no good to us.
                             I want em saying

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 23:03:24 »
How thick are the plastic sheets, I saw a cold frame today that looked as if it had the same glazing but was very thin. Someone had pushed the domed part in. The cold frame was £39.99.

I bought another temporary greenhouse (Nortene 6x4) for £49.99, only one drawback, the steel frame is very light and will probably get buckled in the wind. If it does I shall make a new frame with 25 x 50mm sawn timber, I shall make it a lot stronger with bracings.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 08:59:07 »
I think the light weight of the plastic greenhouses is a disadvantage
                             I want em saying

anything