Author Topic: Instead of harricot beans?  (Read 1969 times)

Yellow Petals

Instead of harricot beans?
« on: January 15, 2007, 14:53:42 »
I'm making a beef and spicy bean hotpot but can I find harricot beans anywhere?  Can I doodle?!  Does anybody else have a recommendation for a bean I might use in its place to cook away for a few hours without disintegrating?  Thanks  :)

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Instead of harricot beans?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 15:05:36 »
chick peas?

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 15:19:52 »
 Hi sarah,
                 butterbeans are good, I buy tinned ones from ALDI`s for 25p a tin, (Sainsbury`s 42p). They stay firm through long cooking periods & are tasty.

Adrian.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 16:13:09 »
Thank you both for your answers.  I just took a walk to the post office and decided to pop into Lidls and try my luck.  They did indeed have haricot beans (couldn't find them in Tesco earlier) so I grabbed some of those, some butter beans and some chick peas LOL

Normie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 09:57:34 »
Probably a bit late now, but aren't Baked Beans harricot beans? If so, buy a cheap tin of beans and rinse off the sauce in a sieve.

Cheers,
Ian

Yellow Petals

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 23:56:59 »
Thanks Normie, I cottoned on to this after I'd been out a second time and bought some, lol.  The hotpot was delicious and everybody loved it.  I'm going to stick in this section in case anybody else fancies making it (family even went back for seconds so it can't be bad lol)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 01:03:39 »
are you going to grow any of these beans?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 08:55:33 »
This sounds like the sort of rustic food I adore. I have bags of assorted beans in the freezer, runners (the actual bean), borlotti, corona d'oro, annelino giallo. This produces an interesting blend of colours, sizes and textures, since some of the beans are very nutty, others are soft and tend to collapse.

I look forward to the recipe.

Derek :)

PS The borlotti, a climber, are worth growing if only for the attractive coloured pods ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal