Author Topic: I want bees!  (Read 16442 times)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
Re: I want bees!
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 01:54:51 »
Quote from: jeannine
I just have to ask, do you tell you secrets to your bees? XX Jeannine

Quote from: emmy1978
What!? Sounds great. I've never heard of this, would one of you explain!

According to tradition, beekeepers are supposed to tell the bees any important (family-type) news. Especially, as Robert says, if their beekeeper dies. One of the old boys in our local association died a couple of years ago and we did go and tie a piece of black ribbon to each of his hives, till after the funeral. We didn't do it thinking that the bees would leave otherwise; we did it because he would have appreciated it, and it felt like the right way of showing our respects.

The bee story I like best is out-of-season now. But if you put your ear to a hive late on Christmas Eve, you're supposed to hear the bees humming carols.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2007, 07:39:59 »
There are all sorts of traditions around beekeeping; it's supposed to be unlucky to pay money for a swarm, for instance.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 21:34:42 »
Sorry guys, only just caught up. That's so brilliant. I love these tales and traditions. I agree Triffid, it's the perfect way of showing your respect and it's no doubt what he would have liked. I love the idea of telling them news and secrets. I've always liked bees. Never been scared of them and love to watch them loving my lavender and buzzing round the garden with pollen all over them like messy children!  ;D ;D ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 21:44:32 »
Emmy, what a lovely vision! They were all in the courgette flowers last year, till they looked like flying orange furballs.
And right now they're bringing in pollen-basketloads of some dense grey pollen. Normally I see them with snowdrop (another bright orange) and willow (yellow) at this time of year, but this time they've clearly found something new.

Unless they're playing at being mason bees and it's cement! ;)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2007, 21:53:35 »
Yep, building themselves a little bee bank or small block of flats.  :D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2007, 19:27:50 »
Hi Triffid, Did you track down the source of the Grey pollen? I cannot think of any at this time of year and would be interested.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 13:15:53 »
I intend to spend some time with my daughter on her farm high on a hill in Yorkshire. If it comes about that I get the chance to spend even more time there, is a hill in Yorkshire a good place for hives?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 21:24:56 »
What's the local flora like? If it's an intensively farmed area, probably not. If it's a hill farming area, it would probably be fine if you put them somewhere sheltered. if it's barren moorland, it might be good for the heather, but there might be little at other times of year. We really need to know more.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2007, 23:49:59 »
Heather, grass, trees and a few farm gardens in the area. That's really about it. Nearest town is 4 miles away.
Is it still possible?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2007, 07:00:13 »
Probably; try it and see. Are there any willows anywhere near the place? That would be a big help in spring.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2007, 08:58:44 »
Will check the area out better at end March.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal