Author Topic: Over-wintering leeks - will they grow any more?  (Read 5649 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Over-wintering leeks - will they grow any more?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 20:11:02 »
Cheers for the ideas.     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 17:04:21 »
My leeks too, are smaller than last year (but just as tasty  :P) despite timings for planting/sowing etc being the same as the previous season.

I've just put it down to a lack of water (no water on the plot) as my maincrop onion yield was also pitiful compared to last years.

Spruance

• Quarter Acre
    • Garden World Discussions
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 11:09:44 »
It is now six weeks since I posted about my late planted leeks, and they have hardly grown at all in all that time. So it is looking very much like a complete failure. ::)

There will hopefully be no such problems this year as the (Musselburgh) seeds I sowed on 18th February are now healthly looking one inch high seedlings. So I will definitely have leeks next autumn/winter if nothing else.  :)
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 14:31:58 »
Mine along with the parsnips are still in the ground, they was coming out the weekend until it pi sorry rained. :'(   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 20:21:30 »
our leeks are like spring onions but are very tasty, Huby thinks i am wasting my time but i dont want to through them away carrots are the same very tiny but i still am cooking them,think our problem was we didnt have any water as we only had the rain tubs and we ran out during the hot summer last year,we were carting buckets of water from home, it will be differant this year we will be prepared!.he says ive got to get leeks up now as he wants to get ground ready for potatoes to go in
Pauline

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 21:48:41 »
Our leeks are definitely growing, flower stalks, a good 6" while we were away at the weekend!
 ::)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 21:54:08 »
When I posted on this thread previously, my leeks had remained smaller than most. However - since then they appear to have fattened up a bit. Gonna strike while the irons hot & scoff 'em this weekend before they wither. (I also want that  bit of ground for spuds)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 22:23:26 »
Well, I started the thread & now my leeks have fattened a bit  I got them up yesterday. 18 smallish ones. Tasty 8)

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 23:57:26 »
Musselburgh are standard leeks here in Sweden. They were some of the first veg I ever grew. They never flowered before it got too cold but when I dug them up in October they were 4-5 feet counting all the greenery. Crazy!
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 22:18:02 »
and finally.......what to do with the remainder of your little leeks......send them to someone and say they're Egyptian Waling Onions, it wot :-[ Yep Mikey, I'm pretty sure that out of the six EWO's I sent you - six were leeks ;D ;D ;D

But the 7th was quality, eh? 8) Do you want a few more?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal