Author Topic: Nibbled rocket  (Read 1490 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Nibbled rocket
« on: April 26, 2004, 22:16:31 »
I sowed a short row of rocket a couple of weeks back under fleece, more for weather protection that pesties.  I uncovered it last Friday and it was a wonderful row, thick with seedlings, which I thinned a little.  On visiting today I noticed something has had a nibble.  Slugs....pigeons....flea beetles....  any ideas?  As you can imagine, I recovered with fleece immediately!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Nibbled rocket
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 22:20:23 »
Depends on the type of damage done.........big chunks out? Lots of small holes? Everything gone? Oh and if anyone has any ideas about what has eaten my rhubarb crowns, leaves n all, :o they would be gratefully received!! ;D DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 22:30:42 »
Some big nibbles, some holes.  Same thing with my peas funnilly enough.  I thought it might be a black bird I saw hopping around the plot, then Ava saw a Moorhen and one of the other plot holders was moaning about the moorhen eating her seedlings...and then today another plottie holder blamed the pigeons.  Tis war you hear!!

What would eat your bubby??  I didn't think the leaves were that palatable...rabbits.... ???

Steve__C

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 22:34:38 »
If  small holes - Flea Beatle - metallic looking little rotter!!

I'm surprised if they were eating your rocket over the last couple of days.... as I had assumed they were all down on my allotment having a whale of a time. I had them on all my "greens" including cabbages, peas etc. The worst I have seen in the last 5 years.

I puffed them with derris powder. Not sure how effective it will be. First time I have tried to control them.
Regards
Steve

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal