Author Topic: Can I use Last Year's Leftover seeds?  (Read 3266 times)

AndyC

• Not So New ...
Can I use Last Year's Leftover seeds?
« on: January 13, 2007, 16:15:20 »
Firstly lovelt to be back on A4A after seceral months with no internet.  I've just been looking at last years leftover seeds and was wondering which I can use this year to save money on my order?  I have:

Basil
Brocolli
Cabbage - Savoy
Carrot
Chard
Courgette
Leek
Lettuce
Peas
Radish
Runner bean
Spinach
Swede

Will any of these still be okay or should I bin them?  They have been in my cool, dark garage in an airtight biscuit tin.

Good to be back! ;D
Andy
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Can I use Last Year's Leftover seeds?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 16:17:46 »
Hi they will all be fine ;) ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 16:18:37 »
well, we're still using 3 year old greyhound cabbage seeds, I don't know if it's right but I only ever use parsnip seed fresh every year  :)

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 16:19:19 »
Cheers Larkspur.  That's a few quid saved then! :D
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 16:21:00 »
Manic scousers, I'd heard that about parsnips as well, but I never tried any last year as I was told they din't work on our site; this by a neighbour who then went on to grow some beauties!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 16:23:06 »
that's a bit mean, as far as I know, anyone can grow them, anyone else?

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 16:26:34 »
Manic scousers, I'd heard that about parsnips as well, but I never tried any last year as I was told they din't work on our site; this by a neighbour who then went on to grow some beauties!

We've been told that 'organic gardening doesn't work' on our site, but we're still giving it a go, so I'd say give it a whirl! What've you got to lose, only the price of the packet of seeds, and you might just get a nice surprise! Best of luck Andy! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 16:41:48 »
I only use fresh parsnip seed, as I believe the germination rate falls off progressivel after the first year. A couple of years ago, I had several half empty packets in my tins, so I bunged the lot in, hoping to get a few extra roots - had a bumper harvest that year, almost every ruddy seed grew !!! Parsnip chips, soup, wine, you name it :D

Sweetcorn seed are the same apparently - fresh is always best.

Good luck
Derek :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 17:04:45 »
You can try the pregermination between layers of kitchen towel before you splash out on new seed. With the exception of Parsnips, Salsify and Scorzonera you can use up packets for 3-7 years depending on the plant and storage conditions.
 8)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 21:39:42 »
Agree with parsnips, but any other seeds that are opened get binned, I suppose there worth a trail but don't rely on them  to avoid dissapointment :(. Runner,broad and dwarf beans I would use and have.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 22:38:36 »
Most seeds bought in packs have expiry dates. Maximum storage is when in sealed packets. Most will store as long as the packet are tightly closed , stored in a sealed jar in a darkened place. All vary. I was told parsnips seeds are best renewed each year.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Spruance

• Quarter Acre
    • Garden World Discussions
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 02:16:58 »
A former neighbour used to work for a local seed company. She always said that so long as the foil packet remained intact there was every chance that old seed would germinate.

For instance one batch of this year's wallflowers were packed in 1997, and yet they germinated equally as well as new seed bought last year. ;)
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 04:04:07 »
You can try the pregermination between layers of kitchen towel before you splash out on new seed. With the exception of Parsnips, Salsify and Scorzonera you can use up packets for 3-7 years depending on the plant and storage conditions.
 8)

Apparently 'aged' melon seeds - 10 years old - were believed to yield more fruit than 'fresh' melon seed by the Victorians. Like saddad says, if you're in any doubt, sprout first :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:30:24 »
two of many online lists of seeds and their viability :)
http://growingtaste.com/storage.shtml
http://matcmadison.edu/mchristoffel/plants/seeds/viability.htm (includes flowers)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 14:45:35 »
I agree with the others re-using the seed on your list.

I use the following rule of thumb;

If seeds are fresh I just use a pinch of seed if they are tiny, or with  bigger seed I count out the number I need and add 10-15%

2nd year seed I use two pinches of fine seed or with larger seed, the number I require, plus 30-50% to cater for the possiblity of poorer germination.

This generally works for me.

In terms of runner or broad beans I never buy these, I just save as much as I need and sow them fresh every year.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 14:58:42 »
and you can always try soaking your seeds before sowing. you know....if they sink they're fine, if they float, they're dead or not worth raising as plants as they'll be weak.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal