Author Topic: Slug deterrent.  (Read 2204 times)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Slug deterrent.
« on: March 04, 2007, 23:59:55 »
In a catalogue today, I saw some "slug collars", basically a ring of copper to place around vulnerable plants. However, the price is pretty steep at £24 for 6 of the 7", and £19 for 6 of the 4".

I have in the greenhouse, a coil of 8mm diam soft copper tube, so I thought, cut it into lengths of around 21", bend into a circle, and join the ends together. There you have a similar item at approx. 7" in diameter, at a much lower price. Not tried it yet but I hope it works for things like lettuce.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Slug deterrent.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 00:22:09 »
I've seen it suggested that you should beat the copper flat, but that might just have been to make it easier to fix to a raised bed.

We used copper tape on some raised beds last year and it seemed quite effective but is now looking a bit grubby and I don't know how well it will work this season. Have to get out the polish I suppose.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 18:00:27 »
My son gave me a whole reel of cable with copper wire running through and suggested I strip the copper from it ( if I have time on my hands :)) My grandson who is a self employed mechanic suggest he buys a reel of copper brake pipe which he can obviously get at trade price for me. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Seems similar to what quizzical has.
Lorna

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 18:09:16 »
I used old copper piping from a friends central heating refit last year - made barriers around vulnerable plants and sprinkled sharp sand liberally as well  for good measure.  It worked really well on our snail infested site - not too many slugs cos loads of slow worms  ;)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 20:39:38 »
I surrounded my hostas with copper rings last year, which were laid on top of sharp gravel  ::)
And did it work? Did it 'eckers  :'(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 06:39:55 »
well, and don't laugh.I saw a programme last year and they used hair to deter slugs, my daughter has a long haired dog and I've experimented with it..the long white icicle radish and summer crunch radish in the poly are untouched..now, whether it's cos the soil in there's drier or I've just been lucky, i don't know  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 19:18:00 »
Have you considered Honeybee that the slugs may have hatched out in the Hosta pots? Many molluscs prefer to lay their eggs in compost as it is softer to dig and we conveiently keep it moist for them....
Nematodes into the pots as well as your other methods and then you just have the skydiving slugs... from overhanging leaves to worry about!
 ;D

garlicgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 07:55:17 »
i read in a green deterring-slugs-book that garlic is the kiss of death for the slimy ones. Am planting lots anyway but also trying garlic water and powder round seedlings.

Will let you know if its successful!
magistra adsignatio sum
(i am the mistress of the allotment)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal