Author Topic: Solanum pseudocapsicum - Winter/Jerusalem Cherry  (Read 1720 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Solanum pseudocapsicum - Winter/Jerusalem Cherry
« on: January 14, 2007, 01:48:42 »
Hey,

I have a Winter Cherry that i'm using as a houseplant at the moment on an east facing window. does anyone have this plant at all? i want to know if it's hardy and ok for me to plant it outside.

i ask because i've germinated about 100 or so seeds i think. they're sitting in the boiler room at the moment with light and a bag over them...but i'd like to be able to plant them out eventually.

i saw someone's front garden had them planted in about 2 months ago....but i've read on the net that you should dig them out and take them inside to avoid frosts?

thanks.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
Re: Solanum pseudocapsicum - Winter/Jerusalem Cherry
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:44:38 »
Hi Wahaj. I've no personal experience with this plant but a previous neighbour had one growing outside for years. It looked really happy and healthy. Mind you, it was in a sheltered, south facing bed - and we don't often get really hard winter weather in Worthing. I don't remember what happened to it - they may have taken it with them when they moved. Hope this helps a bit.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 20:09:15 »
Hi Wahaj. I've no personal experience with this plant but a previous neighbour had one growing outside for years. It looked really happy and healthy. Mind you, it was in a sheltered, south facing bed - and we don't often get really hard winter weather in Worthing. I don't remember what happened to it - they may have taken it with them when they moved. Hope this helps a bit.

thanks for the advice on that one.

i'm trying to make a winter interest bed just in front of the patio doors. something to look at with the fire on, on a cold winter's day.

it's in front of fence, so on the fence i'll have the yellow winter jasmine, virginia creeper and firethorn climbing up it. in front of it i have a large berberis bush that transforms it's leaves into little petals of fire in autumn and then has lots of little red berries on in the winter. next to this will be some heavenly bamboo, nandina i think it's called...which again has beautiful firey winter colours. in the foreground will also be a chinese dogwood.
next to that will be a forsethia which shall burst into colour in early spring with it's little yellow flowers. next to that will be a vibernam called dawn that has scented flowers in window on it's bare stems....and hopefully also a witch hazel with it's lovely orange and yellow flowers in winter. on a trellis in a pot i should have the winter clemetis "freckles" which has lovelt white and pink patched flowers and maybe a yellow flowering mahonia behind it. underneath on the ground level i shall have yellow and orange pansies, yellow, orange and red primroses, some hot coloured bellis, winter aconites and red cyclamens. dotted around amoungst them shall be the winter cherries.

ah i can't wait to create that border lol.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 22:25:41 »
Sounds really fabulous! You'll have no excuse for the winter 'blues' with a scene like that outside your window  :) Good luck - and I can't wait to see the pics!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal