Author Topic: Daffs with no sense of timing  (Read 5682 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Daffs with no sense of timing
« on: January 14, 2007, 00:20:04 »
I planted some daffs in pots outside in October. They're now around a foot high and have been in flower for almost a week.  :o

Wonder if they'll have a second flowering later?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Re: Daffs with no sense of timing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 00:48:46 »
wow, mine are just a few inches high.  Shows how unseasonal the weather is - will they be damaged if there is a frost / snow ?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 13:29:04 »
mine are just a few inches high. - will they be damaged if there is a frost / snow ?

No! but 'Amazin's might!!! however because these are in pots they can be moved indoors if needs be.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 16:37:01 »
Quite a few daffofils in bud in my garden and that's in South Wales!

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:21:42 »
what is this year coming to it beggers belief! poor things.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:09:25 »
weird. I've daffodils in bud, yet crocuses are still behaving acording to norm. & just coming through ???

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 16:51:34 »
We have just walked the dogs across the local  rec. Lo and behold, a  host of golden daffodils, all in flower. We are in South Somerset. :)

Rowan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 18:13:51 »
There are daffs in bloom in my village, too - I saw a whole line of them in front of someone's fence this afternoon. I've some in flower in a pot outside the back door, too. Daffodils out in January? This is wierd! Most of the snowdrops aren't out yet.

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 16:45:52 »
I have just returned from a  walk, and have noticed that the lovely daffodils that were in flower have been completely ruined. Some mindless person has trodden all over them! They were giving so many people pleasure, why do people do these things!!!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 16:51:55 »
Update = now in vase in kitchen.....daffodils in full bloom + 2 roses (well, they ARE Iceberg :o)

:D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 18:40:08 »
I have seen daffs open out and about.  Mine on the plot and in the garden are still quite a way off blooming. Maybe I buried them tooooooo deeply?

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 14:08:00 »
I doubt if you could have planted then too deep.We reckon on a good five inches of soil above the bulb and they will be OK with nine inches, Do not forget there are varieties that flower from February until May. Our local show will be on April 14th but no concern yet that we will not have a good show of the later ones.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 14:16:14 »
Global warming  :(

Someone said to me the other day "There's no such thing as global warming - load of rubbish"

Yeah right ... tell that to a gardener  ::)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 15:38:25 »
Erm.... it's almost February, some varieties naturally flower in January so what's the problem?

Last year things were 4-6 weeks later than normal , this year they're a couple of weeks early. 

Global warming?  I think the old phrase one swallow does not a summer make should be considered.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 16:10:36 »
I'll agree to disagree Deeds. I think it is a VERY real problem.

One of our Italian allotment holders has been gardening for over 30yrs and has 4 allotments. He plants by the moon, doesn't know what global warming is, but was nearly in tears just before Christmas because he can't understand what's going on with his garden/the weather.

To me, that is VERY real  :(

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 21:42:14 »
I started gardening in 1948 but cannot see anything in the garden to cry about, why not enjoy the early flowers etc. and if you believe in global warming do what you can to help otherwise take things as they come. We have had very hot weather 1976 and very rough weather 1987 before.

I'll agree to disagree Deeds. I think it is a VERY real problem.

One of our Italian allotment holders has been gardening for over 30yrs and has 4 allotments. He plants by the moon, doesn't know what global warming is, but was nearly in tears just before Christmas because he can't understand what's going on with his garden/the weather.

To me, that is VERY real  :(

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 20:07:04 »
Trixibelle, you have your opinion, I have mine.

World climate is a cyclic thing - remember once the UK had a tropical climate, things change, and a couple of blips don't mean anything significant, a few years ago the world was heading for another ice age if you remember. 

The earth isn't a static entity, and whatever man does, it will survive, that doesn;t mean we or our way of life will.  I am not so arrogant as to think mankind is the be all and end all of life on this planet - far from it.

The hole in the ozone layer was going to be the big killer a few years ago, but that has healed, and I don't belive we healed it, it may have been a natural phenomenon, research didn't go back far enough to give any conclusive proof.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 21:14:29 »
Ok Deeds!

I understand what you're saying. We have differing opinions ... it's not uncommon (especially on allotments!)

I know that the earth isn't a static entity but I disagree with your theory that whatever man does the Earth will survive.

The Earth does what the Earth does every year. It shouldn't have to adapt to the nonesensical things that the human population do to it year in and year out.

I think it's arrogant to assume that the Earth should fall into check with 'us'.

I'll shurrup now! Trixie XX

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 22:06:25 »

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
  • Love the smell of lilacs .....
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 22:33:32 »
Thanks trixiebell  :)

Enjoyed the snapshot of 'climate change' and whole heartedly agree with you.
Am sure it's a matter of time before the critics start seeing what really is going on in the world and how much human beings are consistently contributing to the destruction of this beautiful planet!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal