Author Topic: Potato Scab  (Read 3692 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Potato Scab
« on: January 10, 2007, 11:32:50 »
Hello everyone, feels like it's been ages since I last logged on to A4A... must have been hibernating over the cold weather.

Quick question for all you experts - last year I grew several varieties of potatoes and all cropped very well, except for the Maris Pipers which were covered with scab. All others were disease free.

I'm getting ready to place an order for this year's spuds and was wondering if I should buy Maris Pipers again. Is it likely that I could suffer from scab again?

Many Thanks
Vaca

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Potato Scab
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:58:19 »
Depends how fussy you are. Scab only affects the appearance, not the eating quality.

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 14:23:33 »
True, but last year's crop on the scabby potatoes was much much lower than any of the other varieties. Perhaps it's not down to the scab, but I feel like once affected, the potatoes did not grow as large as they should've.

Vaca

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 14:36:14 »
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0902/potato_skin.asp

RHS advice page on scab:  says Maris Piper are prone to scab

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 15:11:45 »
This is my thoughts on the subject;

Common scab appears on the tuber skin as slightly raised, scabby patches, the skin then breaks leaving the scabs with rough edges.

It is caused by soil organisms.

Potatoes grown on light sandy soils that are a deficient of organic matter are most susceptible.

Infection is usually superficial and the potatoes are fit to eat.

To control it, it is important to plant unblemished seed potatoes and to practice crop rotation.

The condition tends to be worse on heavily limed soils and under dry conditions.

Add organic matter to the soil to improve water retention and water during dry weather.

There are no chemical controls available to the amateur gardener.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 17:33:45 »
There's an interesting commercial control method that uses sulphur-metabolising bacteria, which produce sulphuric acid as a waste produce. Scab can't live with the stuff.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 17:54:32 »
It's not worth me bothering about scab-resistance as I have highly alkaline soil. I'll get it whatever! Doesn't hurt, and if youi plant the tubers in enough manure, it does minimise it so you can eat them in their skins. I wouldn't worry - if you like the taste of a spud but don't want them for show or similar, then grow them!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 19:04:44 »
heard somewhere, can't remember where, put comfrey leaves in with the pots, supposed to stop scab,  :)

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 15:56:48 »
Thanks to all who have replied - it's been very useful. I've deceded to grow some Maris Pipers again this year but only a couple of short rows. Will have King Edwards as my maincrop.

all the best,
Vaca

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 16:03:25 »
heard somewhere, can't remember where, put comfrey leaves in with the pots, supposed to stop scab,  :)

thanks for reminding me scousers - I didn't know it was for scab, just that it was, erm, a Good Thing ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal