Author Topic: greenhouse glass advice please  (Read 4134 times)

becs

• Quarter Acre
greenhouse glass advice please
« on: January 08, 2007, 18:59:31 »
Hello :)  FIL and DH spent to today dismantling and bringing home our "new to us" greenhouse   ;D    One  glass pane was already broken plus about 4/5 were broken either when being dismantled or in transit... 

I wondered if anyone could suggest a good place to buy new glass OR polycarbonate sheets (I think I have that right!) from?   I have 2 young children plus 2 active dogs - is polycarbonate best in this situation as I cannot keep them away from the greenhouse (only have a small garden) - I guess we could always replace with glass at a later date (i.e. several years down the line lol!)

TIA, Becs

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: greenhouse glass advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 19:44:55 »
I had to but spare glass at a small retail shop last year for £2.20 per sheet (x2). Thought it was quite good. Couldn't get it from a major double glazing company.

After I bought it my brother in-law moved house and wanted rid of a rotten green house in his garden. Needless to say I obliged by removing all the glass to my allotment to replace 6 missing pieces from it. The rest are spares which I am sure will be needed in the future with all these gales....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 21:19:50 »
becs, I wouldn't bother with polycarbonate sheets.  They don't fit very well, and the high winds we have had of late would have blown the sheets away.

Have you looked in your local Yellow Pages under 'Glass Merchants - Wh'sale'.  Whilst you would obviously not want wholesale quantities, they may be able to point you in the direction of a reasonably priced retail supplier.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 22:02:20 »
Our local glazing company... Campion Glass cut to size @ £3 per piece for a standard 2'sq. Somebody in your area will have a greenhouse contract... if you buy one from B+Q etc they send you the frame and the local co supply the cut glass.
If your garden is really small and you have small children you might look at toughened/safety glass.
 ???

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 22:38:01 »
Thanks for the replies....  mhh.. polycarbonate is not the way to go then!   Ok  2 of the greenhouse "walls" are next to the garage wall / fence - could I get away with reusing the glass we have on those "walls" and just replacing the one "wall" and the door area with toughened glass?  In theory the 2 unreplaced walls would be "safe" - or am I talking rubbish?  ???  I can't really afford to replace all in one go....  would this be a suitable compromise?

tia, Becs

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 22:40:56 »
When I salvaged an old greenhouse, I lost several of the panes through breakages. Not having the resources to replace the glass, I infilled two of the ground level sides with wood, ie up to about 15 inches high. Does not seem to have created any problems, and I can replace the wood as and when it needs attention.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:16:39 »
I got some glass to mend my cold frame last weekend from my local 'has it all' nursery and garden centre! They're a combination of hardware store and garden supplies and nursery, and I only mentioned it offhand while buying something else, that I had to find a glazier. Turned out there was one standing in front of me :)

£2.70 for a 2'x1' piece (cut to size).

moonbells (still not pleased with the cat for jumping on and breaking the pane!)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

davy1

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 20:02:03 »
Becs, A very cheap method is to go to a local DIY  store and buy quarter inch ply 10x4 about £10 cut to the glass size 2x2 and place these in the North wall of the greenhouse this will retain the heat and will give you the spare glass for the remainder of the greenhouse.
If the Children and dogs are a worry IE falling into the glass of the greenhouse, a lean-to made with chicken wire should solve the problem.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 12:30:43 »
If you go to a glazier ask them if they do horticultural glass if, they do it should be cheaper to buy.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 13:39:29 »
I wouldn't go for polycarbonate either, it is very expensive for what it is. If I was prepared to go to this expense I would consider 'toughened' glass.

Having said that I would go for the option the others have given you e.g. ply at low level.

If you have an aluminium greenhouse with glazing clips you could leave the glass in and clip the ply on top of it for protection.

Why I would go this way is; the kids will not be about forever. when they are up & off you can remove the ply and enjoy your greenhouse as it was meant to be.

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 15:03:25 »
Hi becs.
 Please don't get polycarbonate panels have just spent the weekend repairing mine, over the past two weeks i have had 6 panels blow out due to the high winds. one of the door panels i have lost the rest have been recovered and replaced.
 I went for polycarbonate because of the granddaughter as it is suppose to be unbreakable but what a big mistake, any high winds and the panels left and next thing you know your hunting down panels and the W clips,
 We are expecting more high winds this week so everything in the greenhouse is indoors as i don't fancy another battle with the wind to find stuff. once the weather turns for the better i will have to strip the whole thing down and start afresh.
 So what i thought would be a good idea has now turned into a rather expensive mistake.
 Bob

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 15:42:41 »
Hi, thanks for all the responses and Bob... I'm sorry to hear you have lost panels in the wind...  Our neighbours also used polycarbonate in their new greenhouse and several have blown out in the recent gales :( 

We have decided to go for glass with safety film on the 2 open sides (2 are enclosed by fence or wall), 1 side (with film on) can be protected at the bottom by the bench and several pots so just leaves the door open and we are considering ply or something as we don't want the dogs to try and run through the shut door.....(!)  BUT... I am not doing anything till  the winds drop!!!!! lol!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 19:15:20 »
I have a cold frame, aluminium with slots for the glass. Sadly the glass is missing. I do not want to replace it with glass as there are a lot of old people who come past in my allotment and I would hate them to trip and fall on it. I wanted polycarbonate, despite you all not recommending for greenhouse use. I am not sure where I can get some from. anyone know?

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 19:45:35 »
Hi Carcan.
 Our local B&Q sell polycarbonate panels at appox £20 a panel my advice is if you are going to use it for a coldframe.
 Silicone it in under and over, i have just bought 12 tubes from ebay ready to re panel my greenhouse when the weather takes a turn for the better.
 Good Luck
  Bob

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 11:28:29 »
Thanks Bob.

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 18:41:38 »
Our back garden backs onto an open play area and I have had problems with the greenhouse glass being broken, mainly from  footballs/golfballs coming over the hedge.  Having seen where the chards of glass fly, I tend to stay out of the greenhouse if there are children playing in the open area.  We have erected a wire frame on the outside of the greenhouse on the most vunerable side.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal