Author Topic: Tiny New Garden  (Read 4051 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Tiny New Garden
« on: January 07, 2007, 17:21:36 »
Daughter 1 will soon be moving into her own house with incy wincy garden. 33ft long x 18ft wide. Apart from a shed on bottom left 8x10,and double gates along the bottom, it will be a blank canvas, and, as I am 'Parks and Cemetaries' in this family I have been given the dubious honour of creating a masterpiece. The fences each side are to be renewed- they want 8ft at least, but as it is the middle house in a terrace of 3 I'm thinking maybe 6ft with trellis would be better.
What we will need is quick growing evergreen climbers and shrubs to cover the fences at each side. 1 faces east &1 west as garden backs south. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Tiny New Garden
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 17:23:21 »
Most Passiflora are evergreen and vigerous climbers... but watch out as they can wander in beds and come up all over the place!
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 17:37:39 »
ours is wide and narrow, 8' fences, we grow ivy, honeysuckle, clematis, in pots, kiwi fruit and fig on the warmer fences, also, climbing rose, early clematis and it looks great :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 18:18:11 »
Do you cut passiflora back every year, Saddad? I did last year but it looks so green and nice still, I'm wondering whether it's neccesary every year. This is in my own garden,good idea to transfer some to tiny garden.
Manics- obviously the 8ft fences look ok then. Thanks for suggestions both,begining to form a plan now. ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 21:15:15 »
ours is to stop our nosey neighbour poking his oar in  :D, but, yes, it looks good ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 22:12:20 »
Same reason here, every time any of us go to do a bit--out they come, followed by partners,dogs,kids but at least they cleared up their own messy garden whilst I cleared Steph's. We have to get the fence organised quickly as it seems their dog uses this garden as it's personal toilet. I did mention that it wasn't very nice to offending owners but I don't think it will make any difference. ::) 8ft fence is certainly going to spoil their fun. ;D

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 23:09:07 »
Ours is narrow but slightly longer and we went for 6' fences with 2' of trellis.  The good thing about that is that once the climbers get to the trellis they seem to get the message to go horizontal and are rapidly covering the trellis which otherwise we would have had to net.  On the east facing side, we've found clematic armandii to be fantastic, being fast growing and evergreen.  Rather slower and deciduous but looking promising is the hydrangea petiolaris. HTH

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 23:28:43 »
About the size of our garden and we are also the middle terrace. I really wouldn't go for more than 6' fence panels - regardless of how horrible the neighbours are.  I find by 3pm half the garden is in shade, which last year was good for me but not so good for the "full sun" plants.  For me the shade problems are caused by other neighbours rampant fig and lelandii....

When we first moved here, I thought that Ivy and other climbing plants would be the answer and for a few years they were but then as they became bushier, the garden seemed to become narrower, so now the ivy has gone and I have clematis growing up oblisks and roses along the fence.  Also Ivy shortens the life of the fence panels quicker than anything else.

I gave up with the lawn or dandelion patch would be more accurate and have a mix of deck and stone instead.  the soil was awful, so made 18" raised beds with old scaff planks, painted first green, then blue and I think cream this year.  All that new soil, compost and manure kick started the plants.  I have gone for herbaceaous planting - I love that cycle of renewal every year and what gets cut back goes on the compo heap :D  As well as the raised beds, I have numerous pots with agapanthas, patio roses, geranium and all the other stuff that I just can't fit in the main beds.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:30:24 »
it sounds lovely maggie, I hope you & daughter will be very happy in your new home :)

I had a similar size and shape garden in Stevenage and would agree that 6 ft with trellis sounds better than 8 ft. On each side we planted or made use of climbing plants:

Variegated climbing jasmine - green, red and cream leaves, scented flowers
Pyracantha - hell to prune, but clippings and fierceness discouraged predators!
Clematis - they did well with roots in shade and the tops in sun
Bergenia as ground cover at the base of the climbers, the sort that go red in Winter - there are so many varieties
Variegated ivies in nooks and crannies
Honeysuckle
Garrya Ellipytica for the lovely colour and dangles
Golden hop
Climbing beans wherever there was space

I also planted a clattering poplar so that when it grew it hid the view of an overlooking house. Vigorous, lovely rattling noise in the summer, slight scent to the leaves, and the foliage is delicate providing only light shade. If you grow one, watch out for lightning strikes ::)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 05:35:24 by supersprout »

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:45:17 »
D'ya know, I've just been to look, overall fencing is 8', but top 2' IS trellis, it's just so overgrown at the moment, you can hardly see it, my hands ain't what they used to be for secateurs and ray's back's been bad again, we've been that busy with the plot, the garden's come a not so close second, we'll get to it as soon as it STOPS RAINING, if it ever does!!  :o :o :o ;D ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:18:02 »
Ooooh thankyou so much, peeps. Have drawn up a plan now for basics and it has been approved by daughter at least. (not going there myself Sarah- she's going with lover ;D) It is the planting which I find difficult. So much to choose from, but money is tight for them. Great list Sarah,some of which I don't know but blow the housework, I'm going to sit here and look them up. A much nicer way to spend the morning.
I will treat them to an Armandii Jill, I agree, great clematis. SMP, for the size of the lawn they'll have I don't think it's worth the bother either but she wants it so we'll start off with a little patch and see if it gets mown ;D
 ;D ;D @ Manics.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:58:12 »
I remember finding Beth Chatto's nurseries for the first time and going there for the plants - they have a website now, shows you how long ago that was!

OO lucky lover :-[ :P ;D

Have fun - one day I might show you the pics, they ended up in a garden magazine :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 10:33:13 »
Please, please and pretty please Sarah. :-*

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 13:42:37 »
If you get honeysuckle it might be worth going for an evergreen variety.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 16:41:13 »
Your garden is about the same size as mine and like yours I am surrounded by fences, eight  foot high leylandii hedges and similar height shrubbery. Trouble is I have no control over these as they are in neighbouring gardens.

You can have a look in here and see how I have tackled the problem/s over the years.

http://tinyurl.com/y72ret

As far as plant selection is concerned you might get some ideas here;

http://tinyurl.com/ylmj3z

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 18:06:17 »
Wow, Tee Gee, I don't think I'll ever aspire to those great heights. Your garden is truly beautiful and the second link has to be one of the most comprehensive I've seen. It will be much used by me. Many thanks.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 21:20:59 »
Hello Maggie,

Do we need to worry about children scampering round the incey-wincey garden?
Just prompted by another thread, as I was going to suggest a potato vine (solanum jasminoides "Album") which is fast-growing, evergreen and big... but poisonous. 
Very useful in the right place...  :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 00:08:01 »
Pleased to say, all being well, that's a yes Triffid  ;D ;D ;D. So I'd better forego the potato vine- but thanks for the suggestion.

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 18:49:21 »
Rats, can't remember the name!  There is a climber, begins with letter 'A', I think, which has slightly chocolate scented small flowers in spring but is an absolutely rapid climber, rather like a Jasmine but doesn't take over or strangle other things.  Hope someone might know what I'm talking about.  Also, it is evergreen so quite satisfying.  Sorry, if I get the chance will try to post name!   :-\ :D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 22:40:58 »
Yes please MB.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal